Help wanted - Voice recording needs clearing up

Doc Holliday

I'm trying to help a friend with something. She has a voice and video recordings that have a lot of noise on them which needs dropping back and the voices she wants to hear brought up. I said I would ask those that know so I would sincerely appreciate any help as to software or individuals that know how to do that.

Thanks, as always

Doc

If you have a computer (PC or Mac) then you could download a free piece of software called Audacity which is fairly easy to use. Just import the audio file then click on the effects tab and select the noisy part of the recording you'd like to clear up. There are some sliders to play around with so that you can reduce certain frequencies which should reduce/minimise any hum,hiss etc. Then just save the hopefully improved recording as a new file.

The problem with audacity and anything similar is that the basic nature of how it works means that it removes the offending frequencies in such broad strokes that it'll inevitably remove good part of the voices spectrum too. There are much better ways of doing it, but they're a bit more complicated than playing around with sliders and hoping for the best.

Hi guys,

Back on this one again I'm afraid. Unfortunately Junglebert fell off the radar so I can only assume that he is unable to assist on this matter for some reason, which was a shame as he seemed to know his stuff. I've had a bit of look at Audacity and have to confess it would need someone who understands the different frequencies to work it properly but it isn't as straightforward as loading it and clicking here and there, or maybe it is but I'm not familiar enough with it to use it proficiently. I'm not looking for a freebie, or should I say the person I'm helping isn't, so if you know of someone that can help and they want a bit of cash (who doesn't?) I'd sincerely appreciate a nod in the right direction.