410 non toxic

Just picked up a 600Jnr Mk5 and now looking for a 410 conversion kit as this one is set up for 20 bore. Looks like I may import this from the USA as Clay&Game do not appear to want to do business, failing to acknowledge e mails and phone calls. Anyone have one for sale then I am interested.

I intend using bismuth initially and will look at a 18 to 19gram load.

With regard to the cost of shooting a 410, then this is probably the same as someone spending four figures on a scope or binos when there are

perfectly good units available for a third that price. Your money to spend as you wish. If you can shoot accurately then the 410 will kill as cleanly as any other calibre at sensible ranges. I have no desire to brag about shooting 80yrd birds and just wonder how many wounded birds they do

not tell you about. Like shooting long range at deer and other animals, these people need to learn how to hunt.

No .410 guru, but just stareted reloading with an home made RTO tool, and have had a mate crimp me a few loads down in lincolnshire.

This is a nice patterning load will post up a picture or two at some point.

CHEDITE .410 3 INCH

CX2000

1& GRAINS VECTAN SP3

GAS CHECK 3MM CORK 4MM WHITE FELT FIBRE WAD TOP CARD AS A UNDER SHOT CARD AND MAYLAR WRAP.

188 GRAINS OF PURE COPPER 6S OR 3S

8 GRAINS OF BUFFER

6 POINT CRIMP.

10780 PSI 1430FPS AT 9 FOOT.

How many grains of sp3 was that?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I struck out, with the help of Clay & Game ..eventually... nice people but slowwww in replying. Anyway I got some loading details and purchased some ITX shot #6, some H110 powder, some TPS nontoxic plastic wads, Cheddite primers and looking on Gumtree found a little used 600M5Jnr but in 20 gauge. My pal in Louisiana USA shipped me the conversion kit ( a real sod to change over and set up) loaded a few to check performance and out of my Yilditze O/U with the #2 choke the pattern was even and there was 12 hits in the 10 inch by 6 inch by 1 inch thick, pad of soaked newsprint and all but three had gone right through and those three had stopped two layers away from doing same. I was assured I could fire this load through a choke barrel so did just that, the groups as expected tightened up and I had 15 hits in the soaked paper and all but two made it through .. happy with the pattern and more than happy with the penetration.

This was at a measured 32 yrds.

The loader is dropping 16.8grns of H110, close enough to the listing at 17grns. (8800 pressure). The plastic wad holds 12grams of ITX ... probably equivalent to 15 of lead. Also the size 6 ITX is more equivalent in size to #4 lead but that is not a bad thing for ducks.

Because as those of you using a 600jnr will know it will not drop shot bigger than 8s without clogging so I fill the shot by hand. No big problem, I have the time.

Looking for a few big fat crows to try them out on before the duck season opens :-)

Edited by Walker570

Guest cookoff013

I think that's the best of both worlds, good compromise.

You can load powder in 30 or so hulls, take out the plastic funnel bit for larger shot on the mec. I use a steel drop tube. It's huge.

I would have used niceshot in a bind. But the itx is cheaper.

Yep, I did initially select Nice but they did not have any and could not say when they would and suggested the ITX. I don't need huge numbers,

probably shoot maybe 200 a season which I can load easily on a wet afternoon, so pouring the shot by hand is not a bind. I just set 50 in a shell

rack as I pour the powder and insert the wad and then it's just a matter of pour a row of shot, crimp, pour the next row and so on. I'm relatively pleased with the way this ITX flies because it is a strange shape which looks like it would impede penetration but it doesn't. It does a lot of

damage to the paper on the way through.

I am pretty sure 410 non toxic loads are not available factory loaded, so as I will be needing a fair few this autumn/winter I am considering reloading. Any of you done this ? Shooting Fiocchi and RC 3 inch #6s at the moment for pheasant/partridge/pigeon/crow with good success out of 30 inch full choke Yilditz barrels.

The new shoot I have joined for the 2016 season has about a 30% possibility of wild duck, various species in it's drives, all birds within 30yrds. I can use my 16 gauge but enjoy shooting the 410. Would appreciate your thoughts. Been insulted by professionals so don't hold back :-)

Toying with a 19/20grm load #6 bismuth ???? 3 inch shell

PM me.....

I am pretty sure 410 non toxic loads are not available factory loaded, so as I will be needing a fair few this autumn/winter I am considering reloading. Any of you done this ? Shooting Fiocchi and RC 3 inch #6s at the moment for pheasant/partridge/pigeon/crow with good success out of 30 inch full choke Yilditz barrels.

The new shoot I have joined for the 2016 season has about a 30% possibility of wild duck, various species in it's drives, all birds within 30yrds. I can use my 16 gauge but enjoy shooting the 410. Would appreciate your thoughts. Been insulted by professionals so don't hold back :-)

Toying with a 19/20grm load #6 bismuth ???? 3 inch shell

pm me......

• 4 months later...

Well, got to shoot some of those ITX 410 loads today at long last. First duck was climbing and about 30yrds, probably equivalent of half choke, three marks on the Yilditz choke tube, folded stone dead. The second was a crossing bird but slightly going away and close to 40yrds, again folded stone dead, the same bottom barrel. The third duck (all mallard all wild) was presented over high trees and was curling away probably 30yrds when I shot. It also fell stone dead. Finally I had a high teal appear over the trees about 30yrds up, going like only teal can and the snap shot I managed, I did not think I had hit, but the bird curved around and dropped alongside a gun 100yrds away down the line. Appeared to be one pellet dead centre of chest/breast which did the job. I need to re check the loading because I found the shells a bit tight to load. It may be when crimping, I squeezing the case out a bit. Certainly the load works and the penetration seems to be exactly what I found when testing through the wet newsprint at 35yrds. I now have a few roll turnover cases, so will load a few same load in those and try them again this next Saturday. ITX #6s do the job.

With .410s if your shooting ducks i dont think you could do a lot better than buy Bismuth ingots and drop your own shot, same shotmakers you use for lead and at just over a tener a kilo in ingot form its cheap , if your contemplating geese TSS is about your most effective option, but if your wanting to try a more traditional size shot of less density you could try pure copper 3s and if you buy 5kilo or more shiping is free so makes it cheap . Not many copp-er pellets in a typical .410 though but i think you could use it to decent effect if you run it through a full choke and kept ranges 35 or 40 yards or so.