Browning lacquer finish

psycho

I have scratched the lacquer finish on one of my stocks what is the best stuff to use on it so the scratch fills and you Dont see it

In the us they use markron gunstock finish for lacquered stocks but its not available in the UK and I can't find anyone who would send some

So is there alternative available in the UK or what would you use to fix scratch

Edited by psycho

You need 4 things to repair it.

Brown coloured pencil

Clear nail polish

Wet n dry sand paper.

T-Cut

Firstly fill in the scratch with a suitable coloured pencil then build up the layers with a clear nail polish until it protrudes above the rest of the lacquer.

Finely sand it down with the sand paper and use the T-cut to blend it all in.

It's not 100% perfect but you really can't tell unless you look really closely, I did this to one of my guns not long ago.

Edited by Will Poon

You need 4 things to repair it.

Brown coloured pencil

Clear nail polish

Wet n dry sand paper.

T-Cut

Firstly fill in the scratch with a suitable coloured pencil then build up the layers with a clear nail polish until it protrudes above the rest of the lacquer.

Finely sand it down with the sand paper and use the T-cut to blend it all in.

It's not 100% perfect but you really can't tell unless you look really closely, I did this to one of my guns not long ago.

I use a similar method to hide knock through laquer at work. Something to stain the bare wood, I use felt pen and let it dry right off adding more to get the shade just right. You can also fake in figuring if youve a mind to. Then use the nail varnish, clear top coat, and build up layer upon layer as it flattens alot as it dries. Doesnt matter if you get a little over the edges. I then use wet strips of 1200 wet and dry. (Put a couple of drops of wahing up liquid on the water as it makes it wetter, stop the paper clogging so much and helps prevent dragging the varnish). The I mop it using a compound called Vonax, it's designed to polish plastics, and I just have to show the repair the mop. The barest touch brings a shine. Stropping with vonax will prob work very well.

I havent tried T Cut but may well give it a go.