Hi

Just wondering to who has reloaded .222 , was thinking off giving it a go I do my own shot gun carts , but never done bullets

I understand it not as cheap as buying its not about the cost just wanted to do my own

What do I need is the first question

Cheers

Edited by bullet1747

You can start with as little as the Lee Loader, next step up is the Lee Anniversary Kit. A set of Hornady dies and a few other bits. A tub of N130.. Some CCI primers and you're good to go.

That's it Mick - dangle the bait, just a Lee Loader for £30 and away you go. You know full well that six months down the line his credit card will be maxed out and he'll have at least two presses, scales, trimmers, tumblers, measures etc. just like the rest of us. :)

I bought my first Lee loader in 1973 :)

Get a reloading book, press, dies (I may have a spare set of .222 dies) , trickler, funnel, calipers, scales and you are away. Read the book then read it again. You can get all this lot second hand and well worth the money.

As above Vhit N130 powder and CCI primers, some brass is good to!.

I always said I'd not reload but glad I was wrong and really love it now ..... it is very satisfying and for reasons I simply cannot explain, the .222 is very nice to load for.

Bullets to try...... 50 grain Vmax, 52 grain Amax and 55grain Sierra semi soft point reference 1350. I think it costs about 40p a round hand loaded.

This is the sort of results a muppet like me can achieve just prone in a field (and yes that is 3 shots at 100 M) :

IMG_3657_zpsrhp3e0ea.jpg

It will eventually work out cheaper that factory rnds in the end because once you have the dies and presses your away, no doubt there will be other calibres on the journey and then its only another set of dies. You can custom a load to your rifle with the type of bullets that suit your needs. I started with 243 about six years ago and now reload for 308 and 223, the best advantage I find is that once you have a nice reliable load you can stock up on powder primer and bullets and not have the problems of finding your favourite factory made ammo out of stock. Its a great pastime and a very good reason to spend some man time in the shed with a mug of cocoa, the wife and children tend to give you some peace when you tell em your dealing with highly explosive materials. Beware though its highly addictive and recently I have spent loads of time making drum tumblers and annealing machines, it just does not stop, :hmm: