Moderated 410 bolt action

Oly

I have a webley and scott .410 bolt action which has a full hushpower conversion.I only use it once or twice a year but it's a good bit of kit.

Reefman

What sort of money did you pay for it Reefman?

I have had the gun for donkeys years,I think I paid £40 for it,however I was never using it,so to breath life back into it I sent it off the the saddlery and Gunroom for the conversion a couple of years ago .It cost £180,I get on well with my local rfd and he charged me £20 to send it off .

I don't know how all this wieghs up against the cost of an off the shelf baikal or pedradi or whatever they are using nowadays.

The only thing you need to be aware of is the Webley is chambered for 2 1/2 " cartridges.

Subsonic are only availabe in 3".

It is still a dam sight quieter with 2 1/2 Eley's and gets used for rat busting duty near our chicken sheds. The gun feels pretty balanced with the full lenghth conversion ,I can hit anything I aim at within 25m.

Don't waste your time with the shorter end can that hushpower sell for the 410.Although it is cheaper and pretty quiet it feels like a dustbin on the end of the barrel.I bought one over 20 years ago and sold it pretty dam quick.

I hope this helps.

Reefman

I have attached a picture of the Webley for you to see what it looks like.

The others from top to bottom if you are interested are CZ 452 American .17hmr

CZ 527 lux .223, BRNO 581 .22 rf, 12g side lock sbs BRNO. and the Webley.

Reefman

post-3078-1179319232.jpg

I converted a 'Annie' B/A 3" .410 F/C with a 9" HUSHPOWER moderator for £55 I tried to bore it out with expanding reamers but it drifted off centre - so my brother bored it out on a large lathe then heat fitted it to the gun, very accurately. At 30m the pattrern is too wide for squirrels so I use plastic carts to pull it in a bit. I found it works well with plastic wads. Tried out some Remington 3" long range carts not very quiet but packs quite a punch for a small gun but too expensive to use all the time.

In proportion with none sub .410 carts it makes simular noise but with a crack sound compared to my 12G using subs but no crack but alot lighter to carry.

I often have my rimmy inverted on one shoulder with the 410 ready, when after squirrels and rabbits - no problem with 2-guns just be very strict with safety catches. If up to 30m I use the 410 over that I use the rimmy - plus with the little shotty I'm not tempted to take elevated shots.