Help with browning maxus forend strip

Foxwit

Hi,

Recently got a browning maxus premium with really nice wood. Unfortunately looks **** with an amature truoil finish. I will happily re finish it however need some advice with taking the metal work off the forend.

Is removing the front catch as simple as pushing the retaining pin out and pulling the mechanism? Also the metal work that is nearest the recieved looks like it's actually machined in and any attempt to remove will damage the wood? Could I just mask this bit and use the stripper carefully in this area?

Edited by Foxwit

So it seems no ne is able to help me here so I won't and pushed the retaining pin out of the forend catch. Just to let you know this does not enable the metal work to be released. Looks like I'm going to have to script this forend with the metal work in place. Any advice?

So left the metal work in place and masked off with the blue masking tape that is solvent resistant. Used nitromorse and left it 40 mins then wiped it down using a soft nylon brush on the chquering. I then went over with 0000 wire wool and repeated the process again. Then wiped it all down with white spirit and then sponged of liberally with warm soapy water and removed the blue tape. All looking great with the nasty bright shiny stuff off.

Steamed a few of the dents out with an iron and wet cloth. All drying now and waiting for sanding tomorrow eve!

Edited by Foxwit

To be honest the maxus is a work horse and I've got guns with nicer wood so thought I practice on this. Although you are right it's a very nice price of high grade walnut with some lovely tiger stripes. It's going to get a hand rubbed oil finish which will make it look much better in my opinion.

Yes that's how I treat mine really, but it's still a nice looking gun and I wouldn't dare mess with it.

I've got a Blaser F3 with lacquered stock that I've managed to chip with my ear defenders. I thought the finish would be very tough but it's actually chipped with fairly soft plastic hitting it on recoil the first time I tried it.

I've decided to send it off and get it oil finished so it will hopefully look like one of their higher grade guns that came like that from the factory.