Advice on using Birchwood Casey's Perma Blue Liquid Gun Blue Kit

jam1e

As above, i'm about to blue a few gun parts; so I bought a Birchwood Casey Perma Blue Liquid Gun Blue Kit. I chose this brand as I've seen it used numerous times with what looks like good results.

I've stripped the blue of a bolt and a few other bits, and they've gone back to bare steel very nicely. (In fact i was tempted to polish them up, and leave them in bare steel!...) I'll probably just continue with the instructions given. But.... One part keeps popping into my mind. After speaking to a few people, and watching You-tube videos, I've been advised to do it via the instructions, But, when I'm ready to add the bluing solution, I should heat the part up, to as hot as I can while still being able to hold it with bare skin. I've seen it done with this kit, with the metal cold and hot. Both looked good to me. So what i'm after, is some advice on whether to heat the parts up, or just go as per the instructions.

I'm presuming certain people think the bluing takes better to warm/hot metal....Some constructive advice, would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jamie.