rams horn bulking blocks

washman

Hi guys I will assume if you have dabbled in stickmaking you will know what I am on about, for the uninniciated these are alloy blocks to compress rams horn for stickmaking, unfortunately I had my shed broken into and my blocks plus a lot of other various items were stolen its a longshot but if there is any out ther I would like to buy them plese or if anyone could machine them I have some alloy suitable.

Cheers john

Hi guys I will assume if you have dabbled in stickmaking you will know what I am on about, for the uninniciated these are alloy blocks to compress rams horn for stickmaking, unfortunately I had my shed broken into and my blocks plus a lot of other various items were stolen its a longshot but if there is any out ther I would like to buy them plese or if anyone could machine them I have some alloy suitable.

Cheers john

That's a ******.

I can sympathise I had some early 19th century ones made by a company in Stroud cast Iron stamped Hooper and dated 1856...as far as I am aware they were unique...or at least as rare as rocking horse droppings. ! they were stolen along with all my fishing tackle in a burglary in 1994.

Stickmakers might find this interesting scroll down to 1996 and click on topic 35-41 http://www.gsia.org.uk/reprints/index.php

Edited by Adge Cutler

Becarefull if your working with Buffalo horn, i had a piece in a pan of boiling water for over an hour. Though your ready to shape. sticks it in an 8 inch cast vice, starts compressing it, was not moving much, though i need a big tube on the vice lever, that will sort you.

Pull on the big tube, i heard a crack, i thought oh dear me or words to that effect, i though i have bust the horn. ? Nope smashed me vice, the horn was still intacked :-):-):-):-):-)