Bought a Pump Action, What do you use yours for?

Wingman

The New Haven 600 series is often painted as the poor cousin of the 500 but they are essentially identical, made in the same place. The strip-down issue is due to the UK section 2 ruling which states that the (permanently non-removable) magazine must hold no more than two rounds. In a section 1 version the magazine tube is removable and therefore also the slide can be removed. You will also be unable to remove the cartridge follower because of the crimp. In practice, except in the case of a major part breakage (which is highly unlikely in a Mossberg) not being able to remove the slide is not the end of the world, clean as best you can and light lube for endless trouble free shooting, game, clays or target it won't let you down. Only problem is getting the pump bug and buying another!

Every cabinet needs a pump or two.

Use mine whenever the mood takes me, clays or pigeon. Usually get the odd amuzing comment from fellow shooters.

Even better when you can put a decent score in with one, shuts em up pretty quick.

Had a BPS, 870 supermag and currently have a M37 and Model 12.

Loads of fun to be had, and after time it just becomes automatic shooting one.

OK here goes........... (unfortunately I sold my 600 so am working from memory)

The fundamental difference between a 500 and a 600 is the anti rattle ring at the receiver end of the mag tube and held in place by same. This is why you can't get the rails off, they hit this part on the way out. To remove the forend and rails, the mag tube (and ring) must be removed. Originally loctited in place, it may have been brazed or welded for sec 2 compliance.( I have seen some brutal welding on some guns) If no weld or braze is evident then heat will assist softening the loc-tite for removal (any wrenching should be from the muzzle end of the tube where it is solid so as not to crush the tube. Gently does it as you do not want twist in the tube also.

If welding or brazing is evident don't try and remove as you will probably destroy your shotgun.

It may not be game over though. At the front of the forend is a retaining ring which should have two slots for a removal tool,(you will have to remove this even if you get the rails off, so removing in situ may be a better option, in fact best to try and loosen this ring before stripping down as the forend will be more solidly held in place) large 'L' nosed pliers could be your first try ( the actual tool is similar to that which tightens the clamp disc on an angle grinder with two pins to engage the slots) If you are lucky it will not be too tight and the first couple of mil will be enough to go to finger tight. with that ring off, the wood can be removed forward. Be advised though that not all Mossberg forends (and forend tubes) are the same length, it may be a suck it and see operation. The stock is common to 600/500's

I would advise going to 'Steves pages' (gun manuals at the top of this forum page) and downloading a Mossberg 500 manual, it will give you 99% of what you need (there seems not to be a dedicated 600 manual) Also go to Numrich gun parts for a detailed schematic and parts list (copy and paste the diagram for reference)

AS a final option, a friend of mine faced with the same dilemma, painted his stock and forend with a rubberised matt black paint, as he said "sorted!"

Hope that helps

Edit.....PS its worth a few sheets of pattern paper to try out the various choke constrictions with your favourite shot, if the markings are gone then tipp-ex 'spots' where you get the best performance can assist

Edited by impala59

So I bought it, just picked it up.

She's in good condition but very very dirty, but at least the bore is spotless now that I have had a go with my power drill and a bronze brush. Thanks to YouTube I have managed to strip her down and the trigger group and other receiver parts are currently soaking in an acetone bath to degrease. I'll then lube it up, reassemble and take it for a round of sporting!

As a new member of the PW Pump Club, I'll get some pics up as soon as I have put her back together again! :):)

Edited by Wingman