New to the forum

shootit

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and am from Nebraska USA. I was wondering about the types of rifles and shotguns shot in the UK and what types of hunting you do? I could post some pics of mine.

Ruger M77V 6mm Rem. 1985 manufacture Leupold VXIII

Ruger M77 Mark II .223 Weaver V9

Russian SKS Tula 1952

Swiss K31 Walnut stock

Springfield M1 Garand 30-06 (WWII)

Winchester XTR 1300 12 Ga.

Remington 870 Trap 12 Ga.

Savage 17 HMR Weaver Rimfire Scope 2-7X

Savage 20 Guage

Mossberg Bolt Action 410 Ga.

I mostly hunt coyotes, mule deer, white tail deer, pheasants, sharp-tailed grouse, mourning dove, prairie chicken, prairie dogs, squirrels and rabbits.

I would someday like to hunt Big horned sheep in the western part of Nebraska or possibly elk.

What hunting is to be done over there?

:lol: to the forum Shootit and hope you enjoy - we shoot a lot of different things over here :-

Rats,Squirrels,Stoats,Weasels, rabbits (cottontails), foxes (Red), hare (jackrabbit), crows, pigeon(doves), Magpie, Pheasants, Partridge, grouse, Muntjack (very small deer), Chinese water deer (very small deer), roe deer, Fallow deer, Sika deer, Red deer and a lot more besides -

i'm sure the rest of the boys will fill you in on the ones i've missed. and if you look at the signitures of most of the members you will see the rifles and shotguns most of use.

Cheers paul :lol:

:lol: to the forum Shootit and hope you enjoy - we shoot a lot of different things over here :-

Rats,Squirrels,Stoats,Weasels, rabbits (cottontails), foxes (Red), hare (jackrabbit), crows, pigeon(doves), Magpie, Pheasants, Partridge, grouse, Muntjack (very small deer), Chinese water deer (very small deer), roe deer, Fallow deer, Sika deer, Red deer and a lot more besides -

i'm sure the rest of the boys will fill you in on the ones i've missed. and if you look at the signitures of most of the members you will see the rifles and shotguns most of use.

Cheers paul :lol:

Mink

Coypu although its a good while since Ive had a pair of waders let alone been out 'dyking' and seen one of the blighters.

The best one I shot was a giant - holding the tip of his tail under my chin left his nose on my boot. If I ever find the picture I will post it.

Thanks for the replies. Nice to feel welcome.

Not sure what some of those species of deer are, but I have heard of the red deer or stag.

My family homesteaded NE around 1918 and now my cousins still have the ranch. Something like 1000 head of cattle. My dad has about 10 acres which is large enough to do a little shooting there. I grew up hunting every day after school, now I work and have a child and live in an apartment in town so all my shooting is done at the local range.

Its pretty easy to buy and own firearms here in the US right now, but the future is not looking too bright in that regard. 8 years of the cowboy from Crawford TX has the gun ban folks on the march.

We don't have to register them or have a special license. We do have to pass a background check and there are restriction regarding interstate sales and how you may transport your rifles.

Darned nice rifles some of you have, some of which are pretty uncommon or unheard of here in the States.

I hope to acquire a nice target rifle like the Sako Varmint or Cooper rifle as well as a nice Semi auto shotgun for trap and sporting clays as well as for hunting.

Weihrauch HW60J .17Hmr with 15" Barrel & ASE Utra sound Mod - 6.5 - 20 x 50mm Hawke Nighteye IR Mil

What rifle is this? pictures? An example of one pretty rare here.

is it me or do we over here seem to shy away from saying were hunting and intead say shooting. it just occured to me that in the sates your a hunter not a shooter and over here youre a shooter? perhaps its because we have huntsmen and the hounds?

shootit we used to have other forms of hunting aswell such as fox hunting with hunds and coursing for hares.

Interesting you mention sporting clays, I read sporting is having a bit of a surge in popularity over there?

I read an article on the world sporting which mentioned a few years ago sporting in America was like "skeet in the woods" which I thought was a great way of describing it, but I hear these days there are massive very technical sporting layouts and grounds?

Interesting you mention sporting clays, I read sporting is having a bit of a surge in popularity over there?

I read an article on the world sporting which mentioned a few years ago sporting in America was like "skeet in the woods" which I thought was a great way of describing it, but I hear these days there are massive very technical sporting layouts and grounds?

Sporting clays is on the rise here. The course here is pretty big, it is 10 stations in a large circle covering probly 10 acres. The clays are shot out in singles, true pairs or report pairs. The clay throwers are positioned so that the clays can go in any direction and some are perched on top of poles some 20 meters tall so as to simulate high flying birds. Some tumble along the ground and are called "rabbits". While most around here are good at the high shots I am better at the rabbit shots.

We have some of the best waterfowl hunting in the states here or so I am told. Thousands of Canadian geese, Snow geese, and ducks of all kinds: Mallards, Gadwall, Pintail, Teal, Northern Shovelers etc.

The culture of hunting and shooting in the UK is interesting because of the history of hunting in the country and the images or stigma such things represent.

I can tell you that in the western United States where I grew up, shooting and hunting are not only a sport, they are necessary for survival. Almost every man is a hunter or shooter to the point where the distinction is unnecessary, it is assumed. I might be one generation removed from those days, but I was taught as a child how to clean game and fish and we ate everything we took. I was a child but I knew well my great grandfather who homesteaded the plains here. The men who owned it before him, hunted buffalo with bow and arrow.