Eh?

Scully

When I passed I was a named driver on my mums 09 plate 1.2 petrol Firsta for about £1200. I'm now 21 on my own policy on a 63 plate 1.6 diesel DSG auto Vw Golf for £900 with my parents as named drivers.... which we were all happy with.

However, for my 18th my grandad gave me his really old white three door J reg Renault Clio... worth about £500... because of its age I was quoted about £10k insurance on it!!

As has been said... a new car should be a lot cheaper to insure.

Try marmalade insurance. I used them for provisional cover whilst learning; they specifically insure young drivers. Not sure about their new drivers policies though.

Edited by WinchesterDave

my first wage was about £54 take home in 1984, a couple of years later it was £70 when I passed my test, my Vauxhall viva cost about £265 to insure third party, fire and theft, it seemed astronomical at the time.

relatively speaking, I don't think there is much in it between now and then, as someone said it was £1600 to insure a car fully comp.

Cars are much cheaper now, more reliable, and do more to the gallon.