The Foxes are there, but in thick cover

AndyCM

It's a great time of year to be out in the evenings and I'll be even happier when some cutting gets done as I just can't see the foxes. It's frustrating when you know that they are there and you just can't see them.

post-158-1181296192.jpg

I got a glimpse of one here a few days ago (just to the left of the bush in the field where the muzzle is pointing!) but I was at the other end of the field that day and too far for a confident shot - kept seeing his head bobbing up and down in the long grass. So I returned and sat up as the photo and no show - well he could of been around but in thicker cover.

Within 100 yards of this spot I have had seven foxes this year so far - It is one of my favourite places to sit up, there is a river to my back - and I can sit up the bank for an elevated view + on the other side of the field there is a bank running the entire length which makes for a good back stop.

No luck there so last night I tried here, a promising spot as the grass had been cut and I should be able to at least see any moving around.

post-158-1181296213.jpg

post-158-1181296228.jpg

Again got myself elevated and checked the wind - it was ok and I placed some smelly stuff to lay a scent trail down the field. I stayed until last light, squinting through the bins - I left the field a little after 10:30pm - the light dried grass helped visibility (to check I'd still be able to take a shot I would also check the scope now and again as the light was going fast). I could hear them calling in the wheat field the other side of the river, so I know where I'll be plotted when that field is harvested.

No shots this week, but still great to be out - sure beats Big Brother !

Cheers

AndyCM

We were out last night 11pm with the same problem, too much light and no wind which is not to my liking, but theres no moon next week and the grass fields are about to be cut, should be a bunny bonanza, still it was good just to be out.

We finished with 16 in the hour or so, most were half grown and very easy shots, I dont like shooting them particularly, but if we dont there,s always someone ready to step in your shoes!! :stupid:

:stupid: D2D

Hi Andy - looks like a nice spot to shoot mate - we were out last night,( till 2.00 am this morning infact) on a bit of new permission, where they have just cut all the grass fields- mate shot 6 foxes with his 22.250 ( 3 adult vixens and 3 cubs) so was worth staing out so late.

Paul :stupid:

Hello nice pic's is that a remmy? fit scope you work to if you dont mind me asking.Iv just got an H-S precision stock for mine.

Hi V-max,

Yes a basic Remmy 700 in .243, the scope is a Zeiss 8x56 with the No.4 reticle - I really like it for my needs right now - previously I had a 4.5-14x44 which is a nice scope but the the cross hairs are too thin for low light and lamping.

The H-S stock sounds a good upgrade, maybe one day.

Cheers

AndyCM

Hi Andy - looks like a nice spot to shoot mate - we were out last night,( till 2.00 am this morning infact) on a bit of new permission, where they have just cut all the grass fields- mate shot 6 foxes with his 22.250 ( 3 adult vixens and 3 cubs) so was worth staing out so late.

Well done, 6 is a good result - one would be nice around here at the moment

I was out last night got two vixens and a cub with my .223 one vixen was out 170 yards was delighted to get her :stupid: i have to get myself a digital camera and post a few pics.