Purchasing Pistol Primers for Marlin 444/410 cases

Not been into reloading since many years ago when we used to be allowed to possess pistols ......

Just getting into reloading 410 and have some marlin 444 cases to make use of and need some pistol primers, can these be purchased like other shotgun reloading primers or is there a law that exists that they fall under a certain category as they have "pistol" in the title.

Primers for SHOTGUNS are exempt from control. Specific wording in the law names them as exempt (NOTE: not specific "209" type primers, but shotgun primers)

BUT

The problem is a lot of RFDs cannot get both brain cells to connect around the concept that shotguns ever use anything aside from 209 primers.

Not that long ago shotgun primers came as individual components & one part was essentially a pistol primer (plus anvil & cup)

Hannams refused to supply primers for Magtech shotgun cases which use pistol primers...even when shown a box of cases. Special needs in action....

You'll just need to find an RFD that can;

1. Read

2. Realise that a 209 won't fit in the 'ole even with a bigger hammer

&

3. Add 1 & 2 together to realise that selling pistol type primers to be used in shotshells is 100% legal

Saddler is right on the money - I had exactly this quandary when I started using 444 in a 410. Local RFD's weren't on board with the idea, then I realised my large rifle primers worked just fine instead. One other option I heard about was that it may be possible for your licensing department to add a condition to your shotgun ticket allowing you to buy large pistol primers. As it stands, I'm not sure a standard shotgun certificate is sufficient to legally purchase them though, as the law seems to contradict itself (see the bold, underlined bit):

Section 35 of the Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006 addresses this issue by introducing controls on the purchase and sale of cap-type primers designed for use in metallic ammunition for a firearm, including empty cartridge cases incorporating such primers. Section 35 makes it an offence to sell these items unless the purchaser:

• is a registered dealer;
  • sells by way of trade or business either primers or empty cartridge cases incorporating primers;
  • produces a certificate authorising him to possess a firearm of a relevant kind (ie a centre fire firearm and not a shotgun, an air weapon or a firearm chambered for rim-fire ammunition) and ammunition for such a firearm;
  • is a duly authorised Crown servant;
  • shows he is entitled under an enactment to possess a firearm or ammunition of a relevant kind without a certificate;
  • shows he has authority to purchase primers on behalf of another certificate holder; or
  • is authorised by regulations to purchase primers. This is a contingency provision and to date no regulations have been made.

Section 35 also makes it an offence to buy, or attempt to buy, primers unless the purchaser meets the same criteria. The definitions used in section 35 mean that it does not apply to blank ammunition, shotgun primers or to percussion caps for muzzle-loading firearms. The maximum penalty for an offence under this section is six months imprisonment or a £5,000 fine, or both.

Edited by sterling