Early Birds

NatureBoy

Out and about as usual over the weekend on the woodies that have been elusive round my way lately. Been a very quiet year and finding afternoons most productive. As i was picking up yesterday evening i saw a flock of about 20 birds in the distance heading my way. As they got closer i was really surprised to see they were field fares! High and heading south. This is the earliest i can remember them arriving. Anyone else seen any or other early Autumn migrants? Lot of woodies still sitting on nests. Good to see so many wild broods of pheasants and partridges doing well on the stubble's. Few English about to. Ended up with 15 woodies 2 crows a rabbit and a squirrel. Found some nice mushrooms to.

NB

That is early but I do not doubt your bird ID. Whereabouts in the country are you? I guess somewhere down the east coast.

As for wild broods, I have seen coveys of up to 13 wild grey partridge and only yesterday did I see a brood of pheasants, the chicks from which were no more than a week old.

That is early but I do not doubt your bird ID. Whereabouts in the country are you? I guess somewhere down the east coast.

As for wild broods, I have seen coveys of up to 13 wild grey partridge and only yesterday did I see a brood of pheasants, the chicks from which were no more than a week old.

Very early! No mistaking the look flight or sound of fieldfares is there Jdog. I am in Mid Suffolk and was shooting near Debenham. They were on a mission passing thro. That is late for chicks. Probably not survive? Pheasants wary, well feathered and strong flyers as Red dot says. Good breeding season for them and partridges.Hopefully pest control paying off and can shoot any thing i want on those farms to. Plenty of chickweed in the stubble's for them at the mo to.

NB