Stock Extension

matgriff

Hello.

I have a great condition Winchester 101 XTR lightweight, made sometime in the mid-late eighties, it's my first shotgun and so far so good :-) I need to add some length to the stock, around 3/4" to get the correct length of pull, as I'm quite tall.

I've been temporarily using one of those neoprene slip on socks with foam pads, but to be honest it's a bit naff, so I need a permanent solution. The gun has an existing but pad as shown in the pictures below, what's the best way to either add some kind of extension piece in between the end of the stock and this pad (like a sandwich) or replace the whole thing with something new ? If I fit an extension it'll need to be around 3/4" if I replace completely I need something around 1 & 1/2" .

The dimensions are approx 130mm long X 43mm wide with hole centers at 80mm

Thanks

Pad2_zpsez1fn0w9.jpg

Pad1_zps5b5ztdud.jpg

Edited by matgriff

You may find black spacers or a grind to fit pad in the length you want, my choice would be to have a wood extension fitted by a pro along with the original pad. Give welshwarrior a pm on here.

Agreed. Matching the grain on a wood extension is not an easy job for an amateur.

If you are happy to insert a black spacer in front of your existing recoil pad, a jeweller’s dapping block made of hard rubber can be fairly easily shaped to fit, and is not expensive. Mine came from a well known auction web site, 6” x 4” x ¾” (enough to make two stock extensions) at a cost of £7.20 delivered.

Brilliant, thanks McSpredder..... just ordered the very same thing for £7.20 :)

Never heard of a dapping block before... learn something new every day

What do you cut it with ?

I guess I'll just scribe round the stock, allow a bit extra all around then cut it ? Does it sand easily or do you grind it rough on a bench grinder to get it near to shape ?

cheers

Mat

Edited by matgriff

No credit due to me, I just followed advice posted somewhere a year or two ago – almost certain it was here on PW forum.

I cut the rubber dapping block roughly to shape with a hacksaw (sticks a bit, but not too badly) and a Stanley knife, then used a power file, and finished off with wet-and-dry. A disc sander would be better, but I didn’t have one in working order at the time.

You could use the gun for a few weeks with the DIY extension to check that it does indeed fit you correctly, and then consider whether to hand it over to a professional for the final work.

The original butt plate will never look quite perfect on a lengthened stock (its toe will be a bit too short), but it will be perfectly usable and not very noticeable. In fact, some brand new guns have butt plates that fit quite poorly.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hard-rubber-dapping-block-jewelllers-bench-6-x-4-x-1-clay-silver-arts-crafts/302433675802?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3Df11cc1698630423a9bae3b3a598a071b%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D252462708906&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Brilliant, thanks McSpredder..... just ordered the very same thing for £7.20 :)

Never heard of a dapping block before... learn something new every day

What do you cut it with ?

I guess I'll just scribe round the stock, allow a bit extra all around then cut it ? Does it sand easily or do you grind it rough on a bench grinder to get it near to shape ?

cheers

Mat

Edited by Penelope