hornady 223 52 gr Amax and 50gr vmax

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎20‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 10:36, ant.mass said:

Anyone used theses with Vihtavuor N133  if so what was your charge weight and CL & OAL  in a 1 in 14 twist

form i have seen 24gr of  N133 powder is a good load and CL 1.75 & OAL 2.24. just trying find whats best?

I have reloaded for 3 rifles in 223 using N133 with a 50 gr Hornady V Max but I found despite being very accurate,  when I went over 25gr the case fill was well over 106%. One rifle's recipe was 25.3 gr of N133 seated at COL of 2.257" but this gave a fill ratio of 117%  in Lapua brass  with an average H20 of 28.56gr - way over the top and the powder had to be dropped in using a powder dropper to avoid crushing the granules. This recipe gave consistent groups of 1/4MOA

Because of the fill ratio I looked around for another Viht powder that would burn a little faster and therefore would need less powder to do the same job. Started using N120 with a burn rate of .8153 (N133 is .7350) After doing an OCW test (as recommended above) all at 40 thou back, decided from the results that 22 gr was worth trying again at 60 thou back and also 22.6 gr but down .1 gr to 22.5. Finally went with 22.5 gr which gave an acceptable  fill ratio of 104.4% and 3328 fps over my chronograph

On ‎20‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 10:36, ant.mass said:

Stuart B 001.jpg

Re my last post this was the final test with this rifle using N120 and 60 thou back

Stuart B Final 223 test 001.jpg

dicehorn thanks for the info and testing mate i haven't had a chance to do any reloading / testing as i ve been too busy

and as for 1 in 14 twist  im only going by what the guy said when i bought  the gun off him he said it was a 1 in 14 twist