Barrels

Rincewind

I have a Silver Pigeon V and have noticed a build up of some kind just inside the barrels about 1/2 inch from where the cartridge would sit.

Is this normal?

I clean the gun quite thoroughly (or thought I did) after each shoot, but dont seem to be able to shift this.

Any ideas?

p.s. I am fairly new to owning a shotgun as you may tell

I have the same thing after using fibre wads on sunday, it would not shift with all the scrubbing in the world.

Hopefully it will get blown out tomorrow night when I use some plastic wads.

Ummm - come to think of it I have just bought and started to use some fibre wads! Eley Blues!

If anyone knows how to shift the c**p left behind that would be good!

I think it is wax.

Get some Youngs 303 or similar stuff.

Squirt it down the barrels and rotate them so it goes all the way round.

Leave it ten minites or so.

Shove a solid Payne Galway type brush up there (not one of those spiral ones they are waste of space) and it will come out no problem.

Probably leading. I get rid of mine with a good scrubbing, with a phosphor bronze brush, and have done for years. It's a normal part of my gun cleaning, and I have a special brush for leading. One section of a cleaning rod, to keep it stiff, with phosphor bronze brush attached, plus a bit of elbow grease.

Thanks guys - at least no one thinks its a gun problem.

Only seems to have happened recently and the barrels have been fine up till then - I think I will try a different set of cartridges.

Until I use up this lot though, look s like I will be scrubbing the gun clean :good:

Cheers!

Hi

I have tried loads of different fibre cartridges and every brand have produced the same fouling my conclusion its just gonna happen using fibre, pity I have to use the bloody things takes ages to clean the miroku not quite so bad in the lanber for some reason. :good:

regards

steve

Thanks guys,

Used some Garlands solvent on it and gave it 30 mins followed by a hard scrub with the bronze brush. It got most of it off and I will give it another go after the weekends shooting.

Being a bit new to this I didnt know if it was a problem with the gun or cartridges and also didnt want to create any damage myself by scrubbing too hard!

Any advise on cleaning as it seems everyone has their own opinion on this.

I use solvent down the barrel for 10 mins followed by running the brush through a coupld of times (not scrubbing though as I thought this was bad!).

Then I use gun oil down the barrels followed by a brush again and then some kitchen towel on a jag to clean it.

I then use a wool mop to just remove any further oil left in the gun.

I also use a tooth brush and a bit of oil for any metal bits left on the gun and around the ejectors.

Finally I put the gun back together and give it all (including the stock) a rub with a cloth which I use to wipe any excess oil off the gun with (i dont add any extra incase it damages the wood).

Is this correct? If not how do you do yours?

I had this problem at the weekend after putting 400 carts through my 686s on a clay simulated driven shoot, the best way i found was as others have suggested and give the affected area a good soak with oil and leave for several hours then give it a good scrub with a phosper bronze brush - and not one of the cheap spiral ones they are pants - depending on how bad the leading is repeat severel times and then clean out as normal and the barrels will shine like new