MEC 600 bushing size for .410

Gents

i am loading 2 1/2" cases with 13 grains of ramshot enforcer powder, now reading the MEC data it doesn't show the ramshot enforcer powder, however it does have a side heading of .410, so if I read it correctly I would be using bushing #12 to give me 13 grains of powder. Am I right in this assumption?

mike

Weigh it. 

I load a fair few 410s and gave up dropping powder and shot. I now use the 600 press for decapping resizing/recapping, putting the wad in and crimping. I weigh individually the powder and pour shot to a point I know will give me a good neat crimp and this works out at 18.7g of 7s in 3 inch cases...just one more shot will put it over 19g, so i don't believe the bird will notice. Better to get a tidy finish.

Seadog,

Unfortunately not that simple. besides the variance in individual bushings, each powder measures differently.

A number 12 bushing has approx capacity of 0.9958 cc (not measured by me but sourced from Shotgun world)

Alliant 410 has a VMD of 0.0804 and is thrown as 11.1gr in a No12 bushing according to chart (suggests volume of 0.892cc)

Lilgun has a vmd of 0.0678 and is thrown as 13.1gr in a 12 bushing according to chart (suggests a volume of 0.888cc)

H110 has a vmd of 0.0656 and is thrown as 15.8gr in a 12 bushing according to chart (suggests volume of 1.037cc)

Ramshot enforcer has a VMD of 0.0693

Therefore if you are using a no 12 bushing you could be throwing a min of 12.8gr of Enforcer but you could be throwing up to 14.88 depending on how the powder settles.

You should always weigh first few charges to check everything is correct as different powders and machines throw slightly differently.

Bushings are not expensive and I would be tempted to at least get the No 11 and check that as well.

Edited by Stonepark

3 hours ago, Stonepark said:

Seadog,

Unfortunately not that simple. besides the variance in individual bushings, each powder measures differently.

A number 12 bushing has approx capacity of 0.9958 cc (not measured by me but sourced from Shotgun world)

Alliant 410 has a VMD of 0.0804 and is thrown as 11.1gr in a No12 bushing according to chart (suggests volume of 0.892cc)

Lilgun has a vmd of 0.0678 and is thrown as 13.1gr in a 12 bushing according to chart (suggests a volume of 0.888cc)

H110 has a vmd of 0.0656 and is thrown as 15.8gr in a 12 bushing according to chart (suggests volume of 1.037cc)

Ramshot enforcer has a VMD of 0.0693

Therefore if you are using a no 12 bushing you could be throwing a min of 12.8gr of Enforcer but you could be throwing up to 14.88 depending on how the powder settles.

You should always weigh first few charges to check everything is correct as different powders and machines throw slightly differently.

Bushings are not expensive and I would be tempted to at least get the No 11 and check that as well.

410s are pretty fickle on powder charges and that is one reason I weigh every charge as I could never get a consistent powder feed with SP3 which is a very fine ball powder and tended to 'leak'.   I have never used Lilgun so do not know it's texture.....anyway Stonepark is correct underlining 'always' and I would go the extra mile and say check every 10th drop, but that is based on my experience with SP3 and 110 which is a more flaky texture, didn't leak but seemed to settle in the bush according to the differing vibrations as the press worked.

A couple of wet afternoons enabled me to load just over 300 weighing each powder charge.

10 minutes ago, cookoff013 said:

If you are that concerned about powder measurement, use a pistol/rifle powder dispenser.. 

Yep, good idea.  I'm into a system now however and happy with the result.  The main reason I weigh my powder is to get as near to the weight as my scales will allow becaue 410 oads are so much smaller than say 12 or even 20 gauge that just a small amount/discrepency using a bushing system can make a bigger % difference.  I load various rifle hunting loads as well so weighing each is not a chore.   I also found that loading any shot size larger than 8s caused hang ups in the drop tube and pouring to a known height in the case produced much better crimping results.