Next purchase with bonus

jon0881

Ive got a couple of shotties so im not spending no more on them.

Ive got a .22LR CZ 452 that i use on targets and hopefully some bunnies soon.

I will probably have a few hundred to spend on a new calibre gun so im thinking .17 HMR, .223 or .243.

What would you guys choose? (mindful of what i can shoot with it, cost and avalibility of ammo etc)

17hmr if you want to shoot rabbits, winged vermin such as crows & magpies to 150 yards and possibly beyond, and foxes under 100 yards (IMO).

.223 REM if you want to shoot mainly foxes out to 250-300 yards depending on how well you shoot and what type of rifle you get, will also explode winged vermin well out there.

.243 if you want deer as well as fox.

That's what comes to my mind. It's up to you to think about what you want to shoot in your area and how much you have to spend. I would take a moment and look at the ballistics of the various calibres, then base my decision on that and your quarry.

More informed members will be along shortly I'm sure :good:

I will probably have a few hundred to spend on a new calibre gun so im thinking .17 HMR, .223 or .243.

What would you guys choose? (mindful of what i can shoot with it, cost and avalibility of ammo etc)

Jon I just got my half year bonus :good:

Paid off my CAp One bill :P from the guns i bought last time :good:

I've got a 0.17 and 0.223 if you want to have a look.

Don

I've got a 0.17 and 0.223 if you want to have a look.

Don

This is what i like about this site...always someone trying to help out...very friendly.... :good:

The other consideration is the size or should I say area of land that you wish to shoot over, I have a .22RF and a .17HMR I shoot over a large arable farm in Essex. Some of the fields are 1000m long, but there are foot paths, railway lines, the odd house here and there.

I have thought about getting a .243 but to be honest I would not be comfortable with such a cannon, I have had the Met Police Firearms cars called out twice due to the noise of the .17.

I like the silence of the .22 and on the larger more remote fields I use the .17, one drawback to the .17HMR round is that its not very clever in any strength of wind.

Good luck