F3 VANTAGE TIGHT

RON816

Hi

Just got a low miles F3 Vantage, immaculate and looks good enough to eat. However, after firing it's a real stiff one to open and cock. It shoots fine and ejects fine too, but it's becoming a real art to open it and grab the shells before they shoot off into the wilds. I'm almost considering some gym sessions to help with the opening. Anyone else have this problem and know of a quick fix. I'm guessing it'll end up being sent to Mulliners if not.

Thanks

22 minutes ago, figgy said:

Try some different carts. I've had the same at at times in guns due to the cartridges expanded on firing.

Check for dragging firing pin marks on the cart heads.

Thanks, but this happens with any cart and when dry firing on snaps. It's very stiff all the time. 

You have lubed the action knuckle/forend haven't you?

It also depends what you're used to, one man's normal can be someone else's tight and if you're used to something floppy like a Browning or a good many DT10s, modern guns can seem very tight.

Edited by Westward
typo

4 hours ago, RON816 said:

Hi

Just got a low miles F3 Vantage, immaculate and looks good enough to eat. However, after firing it's a real stiff one to open and cock. It shoots fine and ejects fine too, but it's becoming a real art to open it and grab the shells before they shoot off into the wilds. I'm almost considering some gym sessions to help with the opening. Anyone else have this problem and know of a quick fix. I'm guessing it'll end up being sent to Mulliners if not.

Thanks

A mate had the same problem using certain brands of cartridges, it was solved by replacing the breech plate where the firing pins come through for a slightly thinner one, it's been no problem since.