best fox gun?

a guy ive had a few fox's with in the past was using a .223 on them out to about 150 yards, and none twitched a muscle :good:

just thought i'd ask people since thats the only calibre ive seen in practice on fox's .

ive read somewhere on the internet about people using shotgun slugs on fox's :good:

know nothing about this. are they effective?

thanks Tom

I would use BB's against fox out of a shotgun. Try a few different weights, wads and brands and see how they pattern. Trust me when I tell you you will be surprised at how good some are and how **** some are. I wouldn't use a slug on a fox.

I use .223REM for fox, it's a good calibre for them. I don't know a lot about .222 but always heard it's good. .22-250 will be a flatter faster round than the .223, I'm not getting into it, do a search it's been debated to death :good: For the range you specify, any of those three will be just fine.

John, I'll PM you about the trap. If you have a reasonable use for a .22-250 I don't see why it'd be a problem getting one, I never had hassle getting either of my rifles or shotgun, but I had good reasons.

I would use BB's against fox out of a shotgun. Try a few different weights, wads and brands and see how they pattern. Trust me when I tell you you will be surprised at how good some are and how **** some are. I wouldn't use a slug on a fox.

I use .223REM for fox, it's a good calibre for them. I don't know a lot about .222 but always heard it's good. .22-250 will be a flatter faster round than the .223, I'm not getting into it, do a search it's been debated to death :good: For the range you specify, any of those three will be just fine.

John, I'll PM you about the trap. If you have a reasonable use for a .22-250 I don't see why it'd be a problem getting one, I never had hassle getting either of my rifles or shotgun, but I had good reasons.

thanks john lots of foxes about me drove the car out the field (before all the rain ) fox out on the freshly cut field with cubs also lots seen early in the morn think ill leave them for the winter.

Boy's

Just to put the matter straight and correct what you have been saying, shotgun slugs which can only be held on a FAC, come in different types. The correct type can be fired from a smooth bore shotgun and will produce 4" groups at 100 yards. I would be very surprised though if 12 bore slugs would be granted for fox. I use them on deer and they are very affective.

A 12 bore using no.3 shot up to bb at suitable range is more than adequate. Many young people find that using a shotgun and calling foxes into range a very good grounding in field craft and the art of squeaking in foxes. You will be amazed how close you will be able to call in a fox.

When you progress to a rifle a good first rifle would be .22 rf and a spot of bunny bashing then onto say a .223 for those 200 yd foxes.

Have fun and safe shooting.

Charlie