FAC Airgun

monkeyjaimz

Started a new thread with this topic as it had kind of derailed the previous one and I think its worth discussing :good:

Laying down and shooting at something 60yds away is good but stalking to 20 yds is a skill that has to hard earnt.

To be honest there is too much "must get an FAC" about. It is like some sort of "makes me feel manly" sickness :good:

For sure get an FAC when you have the skills, as they are very good tools but don't use it as a crutch to prop up poor base skills.

I agree completely, and after speaking to a guy who's been using an FAC airgun for many years - I'm not sure i'd bother going down the FAC route anyway. If all you really gain in the field is another 15 or so effective yards then why bother going through all the hassle and expense? better to hone your field craft skills to get that bit closer, or if the quarry is simply too far away to stalk it then perhaps it's not a job for an airgun?

you'd be surprised how many rabbits get winged through headshots

Not by me :good: At the end of the day, if you put a pellet in the grey matter - your quarry is dead.

I use bis mags in my 200 and every single rabbit i've shot for a very long time has been a through and through between the eye and ear :good:

I'm with Jim on this one. I'd rather have the stalk first then the kill. A well placed shot will always do the job effectively. For the extra 15-20 yards, and the FAO ,the paperwork and hassle, cabinet expense etc, in my opinion it not worth it. If I went FAC it would be for a rimmy.

Just my 2 penneth.

Tim. :good:

If I went FAC it would be for a rimmy.

Just my 2 penneth.

Tim. :good:

Tim, a good point, however I have a small permission that the land owner has had a go at the bunnies with a 12ft lbs many times, they are very windy and FAO will not grant me a full cert on it. Its land round an old style county house with a bit of a moat, friut trees and a public footpath etc. However they will allow a FAC rated air rifle. In my opinon worth taking care of the land owner as I have more shooting with him so need to keep him sweet. In this case being able to take them at 50 yards will allow me to keep in cover and sweep a larger area, out in the open they will be off in a flash at the first puff from the moderator, all cases have to be judged on merit for some its worth the hassle for others there little point,

all cases have to be judged on merit for some its worth the hassle for others there little point,

I agree with you there, an FAC airgun does have it's uses now and again.

Im just saying that IMO the cons outweigh the pro's.

If you have a situation where:

1. Your quarry is out of range for an effective shot with a normal airgun.

2. You cant stalk the quarry any more than say 40-50 yrds.

3. You cant use live ammunition.

4. You have clearance from a FAO to use a FAC Airgun.

Then thats fine, although that situation seems something of a rarity to me.

Also If you consider the outlay of buying a FAC airgun, the fact that you will be filling it way more than a regular 12 ft/lb rifle and im told that most FAC airguns will only perform well with a very select few heavy pellets (Bis Mags or H & N Barracudas for example) you start getting into expensive territory too.

Hi Guy's this is how it worked out for me

12 flb falcon .22 4year's befor I got my FAC /SGC ON THE FAC i HAD A RIMMY /222 AND A 243

AND TO BE TOTALY HONEST i HAVE PROBABLY SHOT TEN TO FIFTEEN TIMES MORE RABBIT'S WITH THE FALCON THAN I have withboth fac/sgc together like you say field craft is the goal the kill is the icing..

BUT the rimmy certainly comes into it's own when out lamping with the flatter trajectory it make's range finding not quite so criticle IMO.

AFTER SAYING ALL THAT I SURENDERD MY FAC BUT STILL HAVE MY BELOVED FALCON :good: