Lab Dog

Stu S

I have a 14 week old lab dog, he's pretty good on the sit command, but not much else as he's just to excited, but then again he is only a very young dog at the moment!

My question is when is it best to start doing some basic training with him? Some people have said not before 6 months, others have said not before 8 months, and some have even said not until a year!!

Any help greatly appreciated!

Stu

Hello it start's at 8week's as in the do's & dont's & the dog learn's you to.As a trainer you have to be able to read dog's a wee bit & training depend's on the dog & how fast he learn's.Dog's need clear basic command's & direction.6month's would be a good start to intensifie it more for say 2 ten minutes sesion's with a break inbetween but you should have sitting & some lead work by then.Let the pup grow have fun but be fair & say it once then insist on you command & keep your voice down so when 7/8 month's & you shout it rejister's with the dog your in the right place for help good luck.

I have a 14 week old lab dog, he's pretty good on the sit command, but not much else as he's just to excited, but then again he is only a very young dog at the moment!

My question is when is it best to start doing some basic training with him? Some people have said not before 6 months, others have said not before 8 months, and some have even said not until a year!!

Any help greatly appreciated!

Stu

You will find all you need in the pinned 8 week prog by NTTF if you also look at a thread I started in dog training its been running for some time and NTTF has assisted at every stage, with luck you will be able to gleen much from my own progress, main lesson learnt by me

NEVER move a dog to the next training phase till you have cracked the basics and the lesson you are teaching at the time, all dogs learn at a diff pace so dont be in a hurry

Just like kids some a quicker some are slower, better to take two years to train a good dog and get 6 years of solid work from it that train for a year cutting corners and get 7 years of sloppy work in the field

Start the sit, laydown, heeling, and recall now. Keep it enjoyable, fun and short. Also start some play retrieving with a puppy dummy or knotted sock. Best to start this in a closed hallway to get him coming straight back.

I like to start them aroud 8 weeks on all of this as I dont want them learning 6 to 8 months of bad habits that need to be untrained . Have a read back through the dog section and on the pinned articles. If you have any questions just ask.

NTTF