Gun Cabinet Security

Stu S

Hi all,

I acquired my license several months ago now, and at present have no guns on my license, although i have a berretta 686e, which i get 'loaned' by my dad (it's on his license) when i want to use it. Reason for this is that he already has the cabinet and setup at his place, and i'm not sure if i would be able to achieve the correct fixing requirements in my house. I will be getting all the guns placed on my license as a permanent loan (or whatever it is called where i have permanent access to but do not own the guns) soon, as Dad will be looking to enable me access to the cabinet. It could be that this is the best way forward, but that depends on my securing the cabinet question.

I believe, although possibly incorrectly, that a gun cabinet must be secured into a brick wall using specific bolts, and the same for the floor. Is this the case?

My house is a timber framed house with brick face, so i'd never be able to achieve that kind of fixing.

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated!

Stu

Refer to sec 2 of the Firearms Handbook...

http://police.homeoffice.gov.uk/news-and-p...pdf?view=Binary

At the end of the day, the cabinet should be fixed securely such that it is as difficult as possible to remove. Even one fixed to a brick wall could conceivably be pulled off - mine would pull quite a bit of the wall with it, but they'd make a hell of a mess to the cabinet as well so not worth it in the end.

I have heard of cabinets being laid on the floor (rather than stood up as usual) and coach bolted to the joists - the back of the cabinet may require additional holes drilled to line up with the joists.

But at the end of the day if it's secure enough that you and your dad can't pull it off, and it's out of site of the casual observer, I can't see a problem. Maybe cut out the bottom of a wardrobe and bolt it to the joists?

Have you consulted your FEO?

It's hard sitting on the end of a keyboard trying to visualise your home.

Good luck.

One interesting fact re gun cabinet fixing.

After various tests it was considered considerably more difficult to open a cabinet that was loose on the floor then one secured rigidly to the building structure.

All down to leverage.

I assisted 2 friends in a property with studding style walls and timber frame construction and we simply bolted through a plate to spread the load and then through a wall into the cabinet on the other side.

For top and bottom fixing the two bolt heads and plate were inside a wardrobe so not on view and were coachbolt head type so could not be undone. It was secure and totally acceptable.

The difficulty is finding somewhere in the house that is acceptable and still convenient to fit.

My reccomendation is to access your building structure accurately. If your house has exterior brickwork the loft is a good place on the gable end to fix to.I presume you have dry lined walls to which the outer walls are of brick and block. If this is the case use chemical anchors with metric studding set into the wall. Rawl and through fixings will not adhere in soft block.

If it is fully timber framed coach bolt via the joists, however it is **** law your joists will not marry to your cabinet, so you may have to drill the cab to suit.

I have about four places in the house that i could theoraticly secure a cabinet, if i go by the securing into the joists and/or studwork. The house has several built in wardrobes that could be ideal, but that all depends on the opinions of the firearsm officer.

If i managed to get a cabinet wide enough to go across two or three of the studs (going across three studs would make the cabinet a rather large one at nearly a meter), then perhaps that would be acceptable, particularly if i used two or three heavy duty fixings into each stud.

Not sure about this, perhaps i'll see about getting the firearms officer out to have a chat with him about it to see what he thinks and or reccomends.

Cheers for all the help and info guys, much appreciated!

Stu