Drone Registration and Education Scheme

KFC

Once again, because of illegal actions by a few then the law-abiding have to suffer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48108817

I've flown RC model aircraft for years, always complying with CAA ANO's and being fully insured, but now, from November, I will have to register with the CAA, take an online competency test and pay £16.50 a year for the privelege. Any unmanned aircraft from 250g to 20kg is being lumped in with multi-rotor drones so it includes my thermal gliders.

There is a CAA 'consultation' going on, to which I have responded and written to the CAA, my MP and the minister responsible, but it is obviously a done deal with the IT company.

It will be an unmonitored register, I can't see the Police, the few that are left, tramping fields looking for illegal model flyers.

I struggle to see how this will prevent the illegal use of drones/model aircraft any more than the ban on handguns stopped kids shooting each other. Thousands are injured and loads killed by motor vehicles every year but car owners don't have to be register annually.

The projected costs are £2.5m for the IT system and management of the register plus £0.3m for education and safety.

All seems a bit disproportionate to me.

Any other RC flyers on here?