Clay Shooting with friends

Hi,

I was thinking of having a few friends over for a clay shoot, I obviously have a licence, but none of my friends have a licence and are not experience gun users. My trap is a manual version so best used with care. Do you think I am in anyway in breach of my shotgun licence or indeed the law? I am just worried if someone was to accidently get injured either with the trap or with the use of my gun. Any comments would be appreciated as it is better to be safe than sorry later!! Anyone got any advice or knowledge on this issue please? Thanks

As long as you don't organise the shoot more than twice a month you should be right. Beyond that frequency you need an exemption certificate from the plod.

The people shooting with you are your charges, anything happens to them it's on your head so make sure you drill them properly in safe handling etc, I am sure you know what would be required of you - if you don't you probably shouldn't do it.

As long as you don't organise the shoot more than twice a month you should be right. Beyond that frequency you need an exemption certificate from the plod.

The people shooting with you are your charges, anything happens to them it's on your head so make sure you drill them properly in safe handling etc, I am sure you know what would be required of you - if you don't you probably shouldn't do it.

I could be wrong and if I am soz, but I thought the exemption certificate from the police covers non shotgun certificate holders to shoot on your ground. There's a shoot close to me that do not hold an exemption certificate and we all have to show our certificates at the beginning of a shoot and people without one can't shoot.

Any more than 2 shoots a month and you require planning permission.

Jonsey.

I stand corrected, I'd always had that wrong in my head :P

Only today I got on someone else's case for posting without knowing, mind I did think I was right, as opposed to guessing :P

Interestingly (or not) the Section11(6) permit specifically states that it is not intended for places where regular shooting takes place.

The owner of a local ground provided the info I had in my head, proves he hasn't read it either :P

If its a private shoot and you are the owner or occupier of the land anyone can shoot with your gun in your presence.

its Section 11.5 of the Firearms act. Section 11.6 allows an exemption for clay grounds because the occupier of the land won't always be with you or may not be supplying the gun.

(5)A person may, without holding a shot gun certificate, borrow a shot gun from the occupier of private premises2 and use it on those premises2 in the occupier’s presence.

(6)A person may, without holding a shot gun certificate, use a shot gun at a time and place approved for shooting at artificial targets by the chief officer of police for the area in which that place is situated.

I read somewhere that the neither the definition of 'occupier' nor 'in the occupier's presence' have ever been tested in court.

Admiral Von tirpitz,

Where abouts in Suffolk are you?

As somebody else has already stated, as long as you: -

a ) have permission or own the land with which you intend to shoot you are ok.

b ) you are present when said non license holders are using the gun(s) you are again ok.

Assuming you are looking at every now and again rather than regular every weekend shoots you don't need to worry about planning permission or police exemption certificates. Although it does no harm to inform local people (neighbours to the intended shooting area) of your intention though stating that it won't be all day and only every now and again, indeed invite them over to have ago if they show an interest. Always good to try and encourage new comers to the sport.

I'm sure you know this already, but ensure you have a safe fallout area beyond your intended shooting direction (I believe CPSA minimum is 300 metres).

I see from your post you have a number of guns, but if you need a hand or extra guns then i'd be happy to help you out. That way one person can help the newcomers with shooting the gun and the other can trap safely. I'm sure there are one or two others on here also in the suffolk area that would be only too willing to help as well if required.

All the best.

Suffolk Shooter :P