12 BORE PERCUSSION LOADS NEEDED FOR 777 POWDER

I did find a few listed but lost them !Anyone have some tried and tested 1 1/4 loads using 777.Picked some up today with some rws caps .Testing gun tomorrow.1 1/8 oz loads welcome too.Aware  of 15% reduction over standard BP but i can work all that out as it aint rocket science.Sorely tempted to take the gun out for the start of the season---but we shall see,.

Edited by bishop

OK - as far as I know (but I am more than happy to be corrected) your 777 is used in the same VOLUME as BP but not the same weight. This means that, if you find a good starting load for BP and use a powder measure that measures by volume, you can mirror image the BP load with your 777. Go for a square load and work your way up - pour 1oz of shot into a spent cartridge that has been cut down so it just holds the 1oz load - bit of trial and error with a stanley knife but will not take too long (beside BP guns are very forgiving) - you can then use said cut down cartridge to measure your 777. Once you have got used to having a dirty face and everybody looking at you thinking that you are suffering from wind you can start increasing your load/powder to where you want it, but different wad combinations can alter pattern density just as much as too much/little powder. If you load your powder into plastic phials (recommended) then sit somewhere quiet and concentrate.

Im reading also that yes you can use it  volume for volume --i.e using any powder flask with a cut off volume button etc.But this will give you higher velocity etc.reducing it by 15% is supposed to drop the  velocity back to its black powder volume equivelant--in other words im not as concerned as i was a few hours back.  cheers  Chris. ill cut a case down tomorrow morning    3 drams or 82 grains  equal volume 1 1/4 oz black powder  load seems popular.ill use the brass charge cup ,measure out 3 drams into a cut case ,mark it  and cut it..15% reduction approx can be done visually if its too pokey for me or if it seems to be blowing the pattern.(70 grain) 21/2 drams  roughly

Edited by bishop

80 grains seems to stir a memory in my tiny mind so I guess that's what I used to use BP wise - 1 1/4 sounds about right too. I would still suggest that you start with a 1oz load and work your way up cos if you make a mistake it's going to be safer if you are not firing a heavy load. As  a ROUGH guide - the plastic phials were about 3/4 full with the correct load in - till you have gained experience I would highly recommend that you use them thus keeping the main powder away from the gun when loading - they are anti static as well.

Volume loads for black powder in a 12 bore percussion is has follows

2.1/2 drms  to  1 oz of shot 

2.3/4 drms  to 1.1/8 oz of shot 

3 drms to 1.1/4  oz shot 

It will best to start with the low load with your  powder.  If you use the largest load  may be too much it would be more suited to a 10 or 11 bore also if your gun is  a original  have it checked out by a smith  for safety ,loading can make a difference  I find the best is powder two 1/8 cards shot  finish with card , if you use  a felt wad always make sure that you have a card wad on both sides  because if not the shot will be imbedded in the felt wad which will blow your pattern or  leave your muzzle like a bullet. Keep off plastic wads  they are not suited for muzzle loaders   Good shooting 

Feltwad

Edited by Feltwad

a lot  of folks advise roughly  68 grains  of the 777 for a 11/8 load stating its a very mild load for old guns.safe and not too pokey. what i see on my dads old powder/shot hand measure for black powder/shot for a 11/8 load. is 2 3/4 drams of black  i .e 75 grains. Knocking 15% off to get  like for like velocity /pressure wise means using   64 grains of 777 --similar to this "mild" load they talk about for older guns..Amusing thing is that all this fuffing is to create a black powder cloned load when as you say chris you can use 777 volume for volume if you like.It just means you are going to get a faster load with more pressure and a modern made gun should be able to handle it .  Its  a perdersoli 12 bore  btw.  A 70 grain load of 777  (11/4 oz load)   equates to the widely used 3 dram (82grain) black powder load when i reduce the 3 drams by the advised  15% .  if im trying to replicate the black powders ballistics.If i use more  777 powder  i increase pressure/velocity and possibly start to blow the pattern.handy that as its a 21/2 dram measurement--easy to do    so it seems 64-68 for a 11/8 load 777   and  70-75 for  a 11/4 oz is about right allowing for this 15% reduction.If i creep up a few grains it should be fine so long as i never exceed the advised black powder volume for volume maximum loads.

Edited by bishop