Flaine at New Year

general grievous

Hello everyone,

After reading people’s posts about skiing in Flaine, a group of us have booked to go there for New Year. I have been put in charge of entertainment on New Year’s Eve so I’m looking for suggestions from anyone who’s been there. There’s 7 adults and two kids and any ideas that involve nice food and drinks and then dancing would be great. Also ideas for good long runs for New Year’s Day would be great.

Thanks 

GG

We go every year Feb half term. We are creatures of habit, tried other resorts, but we keep going back. Any questions fire away. 

Favourite ‘restaurant’ is Les Cimes. Typical ski resort food, pizza etc, but top notch. 

Pub wise- white pub is about it, although the bar in terminal neige is very nice a lot quieter.

Cascades is the longest run, but is weather dependant as it finishes quite low down (not good for boarding) and you bus back.  Loads of runs over the other side of grand massif.

Very family friendly, download the grand massif app and follow on Facebook etc.

Not cheap to eat and drink, depending on where you’re staying there is a Sherpa and a spar which are both reasonable,  but a little more classy that some resorts.

Edited by markm

I presume you’re flying  to Geneva, if you’re driving it’s the same. Right at the bottom of the mountain there is a hyper market. This is the main way up the mountain. Lots of people shop there (around 1/3 cheaper than in resort). There is also a few small shops such as a butchers etc. Lots of people with a car fill up for the week with groceries as it’s a 1 hour climb so wrap food around kids in the back seats  

Between the 2 markets (Sherpa - flaine forum - bottom level) and (spar - flaine foret - higher level) you can get everything you need including fresh salads / veg both are basically a Tesco extra. They both have a fresh bakery and there is also a few independents dotted around (bakers, cheese shop etc). 

Beer and spirits in supermarkets, in resort basically at m&s price. Wine varies from dead cheap to top notch and top €. 

I don’t think you can go wrong with flaine unless you want full on night life till daylight. 

As mentioned, please feel free to ask any questions. 

Thanks again, that’s really helpful. Unfortunately we are on a transfer so I think we will have to make do with the shops in the village. 

My crew want me to take them on some “really long runs through the trees “ , but apart from me and one other everyone else is a steady intermediate. Any suggestions?

Thanks 

GG