Gun safe location?

paul1966

Thanks to norfolkboy i now have a two gun safe to fit. next question is where to put it. my ideal location is in an upstairs home/office the safe will be mounted to the side of the door so as the door opens it will be behind the door, the bits i am not sure about are that it will not be in a corner and there is a window opposite, however there is no flat roof or anything to stand on outside the window. the wall is a supporting brick wall. its only a small room so moving stuff around to fit it in the corner will be difficult. am i likely to have problems when the FAO visits?

i have heard that it is best to bolt it to a corner and bolt it from the side facingf the wall as well as the back i nstand to be corrected :)

i can see why that would be prefered but the room i am putting the cabinet has two pc desks and a book shelf unit so its quite packed. I'll just fit it anyway making sure its rock solid and see what the FAO says.

i have heard that it is best to bolt it to a corner and bolt it from the side facingf the wall as well as the back i nstand to be corrected :)

i can see why that would be prefered but the room i am putting the cabinet has two pc desks and a book shelf unit so its quite packed. I'll just fit it anyway making sure its rock solid and see what the FAO says.

This is from Metpolice firearms website,

Home Office guidance is that all shotguns and firearms should be kept in bona-fide gun cabinets. That is, cabinets which are purpose built for the keeping of shotguns and firearms. The cabinets must be located within the confines of the house and not stored in a garage or outbuilding. They should be rawl-bolted to a solid brick wall and out of sight of casual callers. Section 1 ammunition should be stored separately and securely from Section 1 weapons

You should be fine to put it where you already mentioned, If you are really unsure wait until the visit and ask him.

I was told not to fit the cabinet at all until the FEO visit but I did'nt want to wait for a follow up call so I fitted it and there was no problem.

hope this helps.

PS I have 4 spare fixing bolts and plugs if you want them PM me.

Moses