A couple of hours in the shed.

fatchap

Well that's a lie more like all day. 

Been off work with Gout so decided as it was bearable today I would try and get some projects out of the way. Been asked to make some rod rest's , easy enough I thought, got the 3/8 BSF Dies plenty of brass rod and some glow in the dark resin blocks which I thought would be a nice touch, for night fishing. Any who I had a design in mind and started out. First of all rough out the shapes on the blocks with the bandsaw, Stuff is hard , lost a bandsaw blade, got a few spares 2 blades later and I have the shape I need. 

It wasn't long before I encountered a problem, These blocks are full of air pockets, Don't know if they weren't in the vacuum long enough or there seems to be some crystal effect in them so maybe they held on to the air bubbles creating the pockets but they certainly gave me a headache. Had to put a large screw through the middle of the butt rest as when I started sanding and shaping there was this great hole appeared, I had to cut away back to solid then stick another bit on the bottom, Epoxy would not have done the job on its own so had to use the brass screw to hold it study.  

Anyway got around the issues of what I thought would have been a simple enough job And they polished up ok too.

20200218-190013.jpg

20200218-185951.jpg

20200218-185926.jpg

And yep they do glow in the dark

20200218-193711.jpg

Quite pleased how they came out after a bit of grief and head scratching, Next project is a walking stick, antler top with a Royal British Legion theme. Should be interesting.

Edited by fatchap

On 18/02/2020 at 20:52, Old Boggy said:

Very innovative. I do like those.

I'm sure that the recipient/s will be well pleased.

How do you incorporate your stag logo ?

Thanks for sharing.

OB

I have a stencil that I simply stick on and then PVA over the top, peel off the stencil then put a small sheet of gold leaf on, dab it down and wait for the glue to dry then carefully peal off the access of leaf and then a coat of modge podge spray on sealer and its pretty permanent. But as its on rod rest's I wouldn't guarantee they will stay there a lifetime.

4 minutes ago, fatchap said:

I have a stencil that I simply stick on and then PVA over the top, peel off the stencil then put a small sheet of gold leaf on, dab it down and wait for the glue to dry then carefully peal off the access of leaf and then a coat of modge podge spray on sealer and its pretty permanent. But as its on rod rest's I wouldn't guarantee they will stay there a lifetime.

Thanks for that. Your stuff always looks brilliant and that logo sets them off a treat.

OB