Magnet arms

crookie

I am making a pigeon magnet and have had a good look at the ones on the market. The arms on the good ones seem to use 5 mm diameter rod, but normal mild steel just bends all out of shape. is it high tensile or spring steel ? the manufacturers are using something so what is it ?

Ring Harlow Springs 01279 429004, thats where bloke in back of shooting gun gets his. Harlow springs sell two 6" lengths for £5. I also get mine from there!!!. Also try going to a metal engineering firm they may have a number for a local spring dealer closer to you.

Hope this helps!!!!!!

Lurcherboy

Your advise re mild steel is incorrect. No amount of heat tratment will render mild steel into a spring type condition.

If you must use mild steel then get bright bar, this is cold rolled and will have more spring to it than black bar which is hot rolled, is quite soft and will easily deform.

Deako is spot on, use spring steel if you can, bright bar if you cant, dont bother with black bar!

webber

RB

Not such a good idea to use silver steel either. Its rather expensive thanks mainly to its ground extremeley accurate finish. Its not really intended for welding as the high carbon content will cause a brittle area around the weld affected zone, and would be expected to brittle fracture in that area.

Regards

webber