NI licences vs rest of UK?

So I’m weighing up trying to get another friend,(keen on outdoors/fishing) into shooting. He’s moved over to NI and will probably be there for the foreseeable.

Now I know their certs are slightly different? Is there any different paperwork involved if he was to get his shotgun licence and then come over to the UK to do some shooting if I was to show him the ropes? I think the last time I looked into going over to Ireland I had to apply for a NI specific licence?

Cheers!

In NI you get an FAC for all guns,air guns (regardless of power),shotgun or rifle. I have travelled to Scotland to shoot and kept my gun in college cabinet when there.All this was legally done on my  NI FAC as was buying cartridges.I imagine it must be the same going to England or Wales.Just declared it when going on the ferry,they used to hold it and then return after the journey if you were  a foot passenger.

To bring a gun to N.Ireland from southern Ireland you need a visitor permit which easily got if you apply in time and in think it is now £16 for the year.I sponsor friends every year to come up to shoot with me and it could not be easier. This used to also be the case for guns coming into N Ireland  from Emgland,Scotland or Wales but I am not sure if the visitors permit from other UK countries is still required.I only have experience with friends coming up from the South.I also know there were problems with some people going to shoot in Scotland travelling through N Ireland from the South to get the ferry but they had no visitors permit for N Ireland and got their guns seized at the port.

Hope that is of some help to you. 

Great Britain residents visiting NI

From May 2016 firearm and shotgun certificates issued in Great Britain are valid in Northern Ireland. No further documentation is required to enable Great Britain certificate holders to travel to Northern Ireland with their firearms. However in Northern Ireland airguns of over one joule and over are considered firearms. If you wish to bring such an airgun to Northern Ireland, you must apply for a Northern Ireland certificate of approval (Form 30/15). There is a fee of £11.00 for this documentation. Please apply at least 8 weeks before your expected date of travel. This includes residents from the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.