How many gun shops are open at the moment?

10 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Few RFDs will want commission sales on say a mark up of but 10%, if that, when it may cause them to lose the chance of a sale of a gun on which they take all 30% of the profit yet on which whilst it is with them on commission sale it is on their risk if it gets damaged or stolen. Same reason used car traders don't do commission sales. It's a business and unless you are a previous longstanding customer most won't want to know. It's all aggro for minimal reward if you haven't been a previous customer. Where did the subject of the OP's post buy his guns from originally?

Commission sales round here are 25%. But all our shooting outdoors (including clays) resumes from 23rd at Bisley so I presume the shops will have to be open to service that.

The shop the our member bought his guns from has no room to take in any more but I have spoken to him this morning and he is waiting for clarification as to when he can re-open in the light of the NRA announcement. He says a similar announcement from CPSA is expected imminently.

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

The shop the our member bought his guns from has no room to take in any more...

Well that's pretty bad. I can fully understand a business that your member hasn't dealt with before not wanting to take the guns. It's business. I wouldn't criticise any RFD that was it that position. For if your member didn't ever buy stuff from them why should they help out now?

But that the one he purchased them from is a poor do. Very poor. Happy to sell something to the guy and take his money yet when he's poorly not able to help him out with a commission sale. I'd hope that others in that locale are aware of the shop so that they take their custom elsewhere once things come back to as near "normal" as they might ever do.

There's too many of these RFDs who see goodwill as a one way street with the excuse of "no room at the inn". I held an RFD for near twenty-five years and never had any limit as to the number of guns that could be held in stock. An would always stand willing to help out a previous customer in need of such assistance.

So "no room at the inn" and odd excuse IMHO. For sure if someone came and offered said to sell to RFD, say, an Enfield No4 at £100, or a Browning shotgun at £100 there'd be room enough found. There's always room. It's bogus! Name and shame I say. Name and shame. 

Edited by enfieldspares