Shares - motley fool

djrwood

Anyone on here deal shares? And what about using the motley fool website? Just before the March crash I invested in a few different funds, which is thankfully now back to where it was at the start of March.

Now started investing in a few shares, taking a long term view whilst everything is low. Taken a punt on a couple of airlines and the company that owns primark. Been reading the free articles on motley fool and also checking up on the reviews which seem generally positive. Not sure whether it will be worth the £150 a year fee though so keen to hear from anyone that uses it.

also interested to find out whether investing in the American shares is worthwhile. Briefly read up on them today,  but can’t buy them through the share.com website without completing a W8 form and paying 15% tax. I’m assuming this is only on any profit from the sale? What’s the process for paying the US tax? Bad enough doing UK self assessment each hear so not keen on doing it for US as well if it’s a complicated process. 

any advice would be appreciated

Dan

6 minutes ago, djrwood said:

Anyone on here deal shares? And what about using the motley fool website? Just before the March crash I invested in a few different funds, which is thankfully now back to where it was at the start of March.

Now started investing in a few shares, taking a long term view whilst everything is low. Taken a punt on a couple of airlines and the company that owns primark. Been reading the free articles on motley fool and also checking up on the reviews which seem generally positive. Not sure whether it will be worth the £150 a year fee though so keen to hear from anyone that uses it.

also interested to find out whether investing in the American shares is worthwhile. Briefly read up on them today,  but can’t buy them through the share.com website without completing a W8 form and paying 15% tax. I’m assuming this is only on any profit from the sale? What’s the process for paying the US tax? Bad enough doing UK self assessment each hear so not keen on doing it for US as well if it’s a complicated process. 

any advice would be appreciated

Dan

I use Youinvest as a platform lots of helpful information and guidance and very cost effective. Simple charts allow you to track stuff (albeit 15min price delay) but also move between SIPP, ISA and Investment accounts. I also use Simply Wall street as an analysis tool (allows 10 free reports a year) and Yahoo finance for real time tracking.

International stocks are handy to hedge currency and market fluctuations. It is often possible to buy them in the UK as much of the stuff will be London listed or buy funds. With some stocks where cash flow is currently restricted (maaybe airlines) some would expect a cash call to sare holders or a bailout, either way diluting holdings. 

My one piece of advice is that for most; Time in the market is better than timing the market.

1 hour ago, oowee said:

but can’t buy them through the share.com website without completing a W8 form and paying 15% tax. I’m assuming this is only on any profit from the sale?

I've had an international account with Charles Schwab is the States for years. Don't know how it works re the UK, but with me it means that I pay tax on dividends  - I can't remember the exact percentage and I know it varies depending on where outside the US you're resident -  but I don't pay tax on any capital growth, regardless of how long a stock or security is held for. Which over the last couple of months has been very good news indeed! There are no commissions these days either which makes a huge difference.

As for buying just now, I don't know. The markets  have climbed very fast - the S&P is back up to only 9% off its all time high - which considering that half the world's economy is currently on life support seems a tad optimistic. It all feels surreal and brittle, and personally I'm pretty much all in cash at the moment, waiting to see what happens. Another sudden big leg down would not surprise me in the least.

But I'm always a bit of a pessimist... :) Anyway, look at today's VIX chart. Volatility is still sky high above normal levels (the blue line is the S&P) 

That kind of volatility is supposed to be bear market country.

Vix2.JPG

Edited by Retsdon

The stockmarkets are detached (again) from reality after the trillions the US Gov ploughed into them. They did the same last time, and kept the global economy from collapsing. But this time is on an even bigger scale. Will it work, maybe, if they have enough ammunition, is it capitalism, no. Would I be investing in shares at these prices, no thanks.