is it the scope or the gun???

kdubya

after spending half a day setting my new gun up (raider with a simmons scope)

had the thing "cock on" went for rabbits first 3 shots "missed" whilst waiting for them to reapear I set a target up and lo and behold height was right but firing 3" to the right? set it up again and after along wait yep I actually manged to drop one?

now this morning I have been "playing with it in the garden (er its long") started off spot on then oops no idea were it was shooting set up a large close target and oh dear its shooting way way to the LEFT set it back up and at the moment its spot on again BUT why is it "moving" I think the cross hairs are "jumping but could it be the barrel? I got this out fit CHEAP so may invest in a beter scope if I can convince myself thats the prob?

cheers Keith

Sounds like scope creep. Is your gun a springer? Probably the scope is not springer rated and therefore is wasted. Get a hawke scope. Also make sure the scope is attached firmly to mounts etc. I have heard some people super glue the silencer to the gun as it can affect accuracy, seems a bit drastic to me, but make sure its on tight.

Regards,

William

thanks for the replies , no its not a springer scope is not "great" but does seem to do the job (when on line) silencer is tight scope is mounted tight? yet this thing has defninately lost it "setting" twice? any advice on a "decent scope" er and cost would be apprieciated.

cheers keith

It sounds like a scope problem, if like above the silencer is tight (although if pellets are clipping it they wont really group at all, if the scope is mounted properly (but not over tightened) then it does sound like a duff scope, i've had the same happen in the past.

id say it was a scope problem, but check your ammo aswell, you might be getting fliers from a bad tin of pellets. was it a windy day when you set up your rifle,or a windy day on the rabbit kill day? you might have compensated for the wind when setting your scope up and when the wind has gone, the scope seems to be off.

you need a wind free day to set it up properly. but then again it might just be your scope is knackered :lol: check all tyhese options first before you buy a new scope, you cross hairs may be loose in the scope{internal fault} see how much it will cost for it to be fixed then see if its worth keeping it or buying a new scope.....hope this helps you ! :lol:

Well after looking at the replies and not being one to jump in with both feet (slight porkie here?) I have ordered via blackpool air guns a nice new hawke mill dot scope so perhaps next week we should see some semblance of control of the local bunny population!!

cheers keith