choosing a knife out in the field

FBF

I use a fixed blade Puukko Finnish knife - came with sharpening astone in the sheath. Only £25 on ebay. Handmade with a carbon steel blade. Very, very sharp.

keith i have a verysimilar knife from helle (the harding) its a really nice knife, i love the hand made stuff it always has a good feel. i was thinking maybe people used one of thiose hooked knives for gutting etc but seems like i already have the tool for the job..

99-1.jpeg

yeah, the handmade character really makes it a nice knife to own - mine has a polished birch handle with a reindeer horn boss. Very nice. My sister-in-law is Finnish and they have a real pride in making knives - as well as in drinking until they fall over.

I have a load of diferant knifes but the one that I find works best graloching Deer is a fairly cheep winchester fixed blade. I have a gerber freeman But the point is not pointy enough. I use a gerber gator from time to time which is a good alrounder.

I have just got a small fixed blade buck knife with a gut hook that I will be puting through its paces soon. I also got a nice hand made knife this week that I am yet to try out it looks to be a good shape and has a nice strong blade and is sharp enough to shave with.

The Buck knife is for DSC2 because it can be steralised and the sheet has a plastic insert that can be cleaned out and steralised as well.

Dave

I have various including my everfaithful Leatherman but this is more of a tool for fixing stuff ..... but for straightforward cutting knives I have 2 main ones.....

Firstly a Mora clipper as a good GP knife and only cost £7.50... it is good enough for the Sweedish army then .....

Secondly, a general pocket knife.... the Opinel ... I prefer the smaller versions and use a No.7 which was £4 incl delivery off fleabay....

Both the clipper and opinel take good edges and keep them fairly well. their light weight is the other real plus.