Handle/screen carried thermal spotter + use for truck/raised hide etc for sale.

Dave-G

Another lockdown shielding passtime project, basically I have two barely used 384x288 17 micron thermal cores that are about three years old with 35mm lenses that have been salvaged from well used devices that came my way at a price, they make ideal spotters at about 1.5 base mag. Once a rig has been made it takes moments to remove just the core module from one rig, leaving other parts intact and transfer it to another, so I can offer various versions using the same thermal module.

I've used a re-purposed 5" monitor box here to make a hand carry thermal spotter/finder that can be held out a car window while the monitor is trailed inside the car if the optional extension cable is used. It can also 'magnet plonk' onto a steel roof with or without the handle to leave both hands free to also use as a driving cam. Its best to remove the handle and fit the magnet direct into the threaded tripod mount if any speed is to be done but if overlooking a bait station or plodding along the handle should be OK. Its a bit bulky for pure walkabout but the handle has a hole through it to attach a neck lanyard. The 25mm diameter handle will drop into a 1" hole drilled in a hide window rifle rest while the 5" 800x480 monitor with brightness control can be lowered out of sight for anyone in the hide to view without getting eye sting. :)

[size=150]https://youtu.be/0bfyQZodIz4[/size]

There is an RCA out socket at the front to connect a DVR for recording if desired. 

Its point and view with no reason or need to fool about with any settings - the optimum settings are preset. There is a single 'grounding' wire folded into a loose protective sleeve that can be touched-on to any of the solder pads on the core as if it were a joystick button for anyone determined to faff about with settings. (Another reason its easily transferred)

User supplies three 18650 cells, two for the monitor and one for the thermal core. I do not supply anything with internal charge batteries so please don't ask. Like most NV devices, batteries can be easily changed and externally charged with no need to return for replacements.

Price is £550 collected for the handle carry unit only - the magnet base and extension is £40 if taken with the spotter - it is not offered separately.
Collection with after dark demo preferred but can be posted RMSD for £15.

Spotters (1).JPG

Spotters (2).JPG

Spotters (4).JPG

Spotters (7).JPG

Spotters (5).JPG

Spotters (6).JPG

finder (7).JPG

Edited by Dave-G

1 hour ago, mel b3 said:

tell you what dave , thats some pretty good kid for that price mate 

Thanks Mel, it surprised me how much it sees and how well, that field is 350 yards long. What I see in live imaging before its uploaded is much better than seen on youtube. Its totally changed my shooting given the need to do it from a vehicle or stop shooting.

The thermal core modules are very small and easily transferred into other devices if the other components are left ready for its return or replacement. I have access to more of them. The next 'home' for one is a remote control roof light conversion - should be ready early next week but it won't be this cheap.

More recent modules are even smaller, little wonder the commercial devices fit in a decent size pocket - though they're no good at leaning out of windows to see where the truck is going while an eye is glued to the screen.  I can drive with zero light source giving away my presence. :)

None of my devices are useful to those who don't use a vehicle as large part of their hunting.

DSCF2079.JPG

DSCF2092.JPG

Edited by Dave-G

My mate had a couple of rotolights that he intended making into ir night vision spotters , as he mainly shoots from the 4x4 . He also looked at doing a thermal home build with them , but just the parts cost double what you're selling yours at . Yours look like an absolute bargain mate 👍.

• 2 weeks later...

I've moved one of my thermal core modules to yet another home.

This time its replaced the lamp unit in a remote pan/tilt magnetic roof spotter. It also has a slide in/out base that can be fitted to a non steel roof (say Landie) or structure such as a foxbox. The thermal core has a 384x288 17micron sensor with a base mag of about 1.5 from a salvaged 35mm F1.2  lens which is ideal as a spotter that you won't be adjusting by hand because its up on the roof of the truck - and few will have invested in a vehicle with a tilt/slide sunroof to reach out of - if you have: see some of my other posts. Its basically a preset quarry finder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDh_O532AwI&ab_channel=somebloke

It only has black or white hot, so you won't be faffing about with palettes, nor reticules, magnifications brightness or contrast, so I've simplified the build and water resistance by not having any adjustment buttons. You won't be adjusting focus either so its best left at say 100 yards focus with proportionally less sharp focus the further away from 100 yards you see. I set mine at 100 yards because that gets me to approximately my HMR point and shoot zero distance for bunny bashing. Foxers might set it at about 150 yards. 👼

The video signal is sent by FPV radio signals. Some people don't like wading through all the info I usually put in my sales posts and even ask questions I've already addressed so without further ado

[b]Price is £850[/b] for both the roof transmitter and my own well used 7" monitor/receiver with record which I'd need to replace to use my others - or £750 if you buy a new guaranteed receiver: https://www.google.com/search?q=7"+FPV+monitor+receiver&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi1kf6zxdPvAhWBaRUIHSpWDwoQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1536&bih=758
I'd rather demo this at night with a face to face sale at the Eastern Leicester city boundary if possible.

When watching this video on a home PC its best to minimise your screen to 7" to get a better idea of what is seen realtime - but the youtube upload is not as clean as seen in the car. Also remember the preset focus - the opening scene is out of focus because its seeing 200 yards beyond the 100 yards preset focus point: this is why I refer to a quarry finder.

The three field use videos in the first hand carry thermal spotter post are from the same module in a different housing.

All three thermal spotters

All three thermal spotters.JPG

Edited by Dave-G

• 3 weeks later...