Childrens Olympics

The Heron

29 minutes ago, Wilts#Dave said:

Agreed, I find both rather boring and certainly wouldn’t choose to watch them on tv…..but then again I understand plenty will disagree and spend their life talking about it. 
Does make me laugh when others mock what someone enjoys doing when it’s not their ‘cup of tea’ 

Indeed, but I do think the scope of the Olympics is starting to get almost unmanageable. But then where do you trim it down? I'd happily lose some track and field events - the ones I call the 'special way' events: 

I'd keep the long jump, but ditch the triple jump - jump as far as you can 'in a special way'

I'd keep the high jump, but ditch the pole vault - Jump as high as you can with this special pole

I'd keep the distance running, but ditch the steeplechase - run a long way, but jump over these special jumps too.

Throw this metal ball! but do it in a special way (shot put). And so on...

But then I'd get rid of the 100m too. It's all over too quickly! And there must be some boat types we can trim out of the sailing? And couldn't we just have one type of rowing for one, two, four and eight people, not skulls/rowing, lightweights and so on? And I think I'll be dead before the swimming schedule comes to an end! And... and...and...

Or we could just shut up and enjoy watching just how good humans can be at sport, even if we have no desire to do them ourselves.