Motorhome purchase and rental.

markm

On 03/08/2021 at 08:55, markm said:

Our main idea would be to come hone from work on a Friday night, if the weather looks like it’s going to be nice, chuck some stuff and the dog in the van and just go 1/2 an hour away. Hiring wouldn’t allow us to do that. 

If you are mostly only looking to travel half an hour away I really cant see the point in a full blown motorhome or anything at all really. To me that's well within driving back home distance, nothing special needed. I would possibly just consider a converted LWB VW transporter or perhaps a caravan for the few times you want to go further afield. Far easier for quick trips, though I appreciate that rather depends on the size of your family as to the space you need.  

Buying a large motorhome for such short trips seems like madness and the rental idea fraught with headaches. Longer trips require more planning so you would be able to reasonably consider hiring. 

Thanks for the input chaps. Really appreciate it. 

The family (with one older) is 4, although we would normally travel as a 3 and even 2 in a few years. 

The VW camper van isn’t for me, but I’ve looked (and was shocked by the prices). 

Current thinking is look out for a ‘nearly new’ one (when and if the prices drop) and just keep it as ours. 

1 minute ago, markm said:

Thanks for the input chaps. Really appreciate it. 

The family (with one older) is 4, although we would normally travel as a 3 and even 2 in a few years. 

The VW camper van isn’t for me, but I’ve looked (and was shocked by the prices). 

Current thinking is look out for a ‘nearly new’ one (when and if the prices drop) and just keep it as ours. 

I personally think the prices will fall quite a lot once foreign travel restriction lift and people want to release equity for other things. Recently everyone seems to be motorhome mad. There is even a celebrities go motorhoming series on TV. 
Wait and pounce once the prices drop 😉 

Tom

17 minutes ago, elgreco said:

I personally think the prices will fall quite a lot once foreign travel restriction lift and people want to release equity for other things. Recently everyone seems to be motorhome mad. There is even a celebrities go motorhoming series on TV. 
Wait and pounce once the prices drop 😉 

Tom

Sounds like good advice if you want to buy one for yourself 👍