rabbits squeel

lewis

ive shot allot of rabbits in my time but within the last 6 evry time i deliver a head shot from about 25 yards, they squeel and i know its a instant kill because im getting the eyes, i use powa pells and its a .22 hornet. i know rabbits have allot of nervs ,but this couldnt be down to nervs could it? how could i get rid of it, i was thinking on increasing the grain of the pellet and using logun penetrators heavy weights, would this work?

thanks in advance

LM

IMO

don't go for the eyes as this does not necessarily mean an instant kill

half way between the eye and the base of the ear i think provides a better kill zone

if a rabbit squeals it probably ain't dead

nothing wrong with your choice of pellet, is your gun punching out ok or could it have lost power

TP

Do you mean a BSA Hornet air rifle or a .22hornet centrefire rifle cartridge? :lol::good:

its a .22 hornet from bsa and its putting out at 12 ft pounds , i usualy go between the eyes and the neck and it usualy works but i just had it chronoed and its not lost power so im puzzled

LM

• 4 weeks later...
Do you mean a BSA Hornet air rifle or a .22hornet centrefire rifle cartridge? :yes: B)

its a .22 hornet from bsa and its putting out at 12 ft pounds , i usualy go between the eyes and the neck and it usualy works but i just had it chronoed and its not lost power so im puzzled

LM

id be verry carefull if its smack on 12ft on the chrono, only takes a police check with there pellets and your doing 5year :good: ...might ba the angle your shooting ait ive had a few were ive aimed between the eyes and for smoe reason skimmed its head, have you been and picked the up to see if you actually killed it?? i dont think you have as mine normall instant dead..are you shooting from prone??might be skimming them cuz slightly on a angle on aim, try standing and shooting down..at 25y threw the eye would still take it out expesially if ur using 22, 177 needs to be delivered more carefully 9/10 ive seen they come out the other side with 177 but 22 neva..id make sure were ur aiming u judg if the pellets gonna go itnto the brain and only take it if it is..good luck :oops:

the rabbits eyes are in front of the brain so your unlikely to kill them with an air rifle shooting the eyes ,your only going to cause unneccesary suffering and squeeling ,as suggested the area behind the eyes and under the ears is the perfect place to place your shot

the rabbits eyes are in front of the brain so your unlikely to kill them with an air rifle shooting the eyes ,your only going to cause unneccesary suffering and squeeling ,as suggested the area behind the eyes and under the ears is the perfect place to place your shot

yes, ive been testing where the best kill is on a rabbit..and about 10mm to the left of the eye is a perfect kill at 30 :stupid:

lew :good:

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case anyone is still looking for the best area to place a head shot on a rabbit, below is a link to a cross section picture of a rabbit indicating exactly where the brain is in comparison to the ears and eyes.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s246/an...bbitAnatomy.jpg

The best place to aim for to secure a quick humane kill is directly for the center of the brain, mass trauma to the brain of any animal is enough to shut down all body functions such as breathing, heart beat and blood flow thus ensuring a quick kill. Any twitching or movement after the shot was taken is purely down to nerve spazm and has nothing to do with the animal feeling any pain.

Hope this information helps some of you out there!