.410 crows

Ultrastu

So bank august Holiday Monday is the one and only day of the year I get a full day shooting pass from the wife .

So with my mate , we decided to go after the crows and give the pige a break .

It's been a long while since I shot more than just a couple of crows .probably sometime last October. 

We set up in a field which can be a bit noise sensitive  being around 350 yds from some houses the wind blowing towards them .so it was decided that it would be a .410 day .we got set up and shooting by 8am the crows literally landing in the pattern next to us while we were putting the deeks out .

23 plastic decoys /silo socks and a nice tucked into the hedge hide and we were off .sitting next to each other is the way to go with the single shot guns .as sometimes a bird may be hit but not drop so a second follow up shot from my mate finishes the job .taking it in turns to shoot first  and the second gun goes on report  works well .

We had around 50 birds down by about 10.30 a mix of jds and crows .then the day warmed up and the action slowed .we expected a return of the numbers in the afternoon  as we had on previous days ,seen flocks of hundreds  up here later in the day .unfortunately  today it wasn't to be they didn't really return and a look with the binos saw the main flock around 700 yds away around a farm.  So we called it aday at 5 pm with 75 birds in the bag. Which is a record on the crows for us beating a previous  48 I shot with a 20b a couple  of years ago. 

To do this with single shot .410s and using our quieter (weaker /less effective) carts than normal .we are very pleased .

Hit ratio was again around 2:1  which is more than good enough .

The .410s and a wind helping mask the noise allowing birds coming in around 100 plus yards away to be not put off while we were shooting .

Cheers .

• 3 weeks later...

Out for a repeat of the above 

With same location and set up and again the .410s .

We shot till 12  from 8 am  and got exactly 50 crows /jds and a single pigeon . the action was good and exciting  with some lovely shots that really showed the potential  of the humble .410 calibre . We had a couple of 40 yd kills and plenty around 30 - 35 yds  .

Cheers .