Medlars

Walker570

A few years ago we planted a medlar tree in a spare patch of our orchard and this year it produced enough fruit to nake it worthwhile trying to use them for jam/jellies or cheese, so a couple of weeks ago I picked what was on the tree and laid them intrays in our garden room to 'blet' which means you wait until they change from rock hard to soft and spoingy. Checked them this morning and about half had gone through the 'blet' process, so decided to make some jam.   Now medalars are one of the oldest fruit trees known and it is believed they where brought into the UK from the Middle East. It is no wonder that they are not used in the kitchen much these days as the process of converting the fruit to jam is somewhat laborious and after about an hour of sifting and sqeezing I managed to produce sufficient to put 2lb of jam sugar to it and bring it up to jamming temperature.  I am pleased to say it has set quite well and on tasting the dregs from the jam pan it is also yummy.  The medlar is from the rose/apple family so has a strong apple taste.  I think the result was well worth the effort.

001.JPG

Very nice too.

I`m sure that you know that the French call them Cul de chien (dog`s a-r-s-e), but they taste much better than that :yahoo:

They get the nickname from the look rather than the taste I must add.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy