Subsonic reloading in 410

Any reloaders out there that have put any time in developing loads for the 410s with a moderator fitted. Not necessarily the 3"loads but the  lighter stuff with faster powders . Be good to try and duplicate the old faithful fourlong or something similar  and save using up my H110 .any input is welcome 

2 hours ago, UK fowler said:

Do you hunt vermin with this ammo it sounds ideal 👍🐿

Yes it's used around buildings,barn's and horse paddocks in a full length moderated gun , 980 fps using all brass casings and 1050 fps using std plastic cases the only downside is when reloading the plastic cases the cork wad can make the case swell and it will not fit in the chamber but a quick run through a sizing die when loaded sort's them out, Plus you get 1100 reload's out of a 500 gram tub of powder.

Edited by Andy H

Card's and wad's for brass cases are .430" 1/8th thick overpowder nitro card , 15mm cork wad or .430" dry fibre cushion  wad and a .450" .030" thick over shot card sealed with PVA glue , Most component's can be obtained from Clay & game but I made my own rotary punches for the card wad's.

Edited by Andy H

8 hours ago, Windswept said:

May I ask what wads you use in the brass cases and how you seal to overshot card?

just a word of caution if considering using magtech brass cases they use rifle primers, which are in very short supply at this time and are costing around £120 to £200 per 1000 then you will need a firearms certificate with a suitable calibre on it to purchase the primers from an RFD. 

Thanks for the replies. I've had the brass for ages but not managed to get them working well with a slow 410 powder, problems getting all the powder to burn.

I have the right wads, I've used large pistol primers as that's what's recommended. I've yet to try magnum primers but might try rifle primers as I have plenty.

I tried a faster pistol powder today, Viht N320, as I have data for that for plastic cases (see the Gualandi site). It worked much better, very clean, and I didn't even glue down the overshot card. You do need plenty of wad height when using small amounts of powder.

How do you work out their speed, do you use a chronograph?