INFO

As recently mentioned elsewhere on here I needed to refer to a book only to find that it was the very one that I'd loaned out a few months ago. As is often the case questions regarding this topic are increasing in frequency. The subject matter in question had to do with NTS and steel shot in particular. I can only imagine that interest in this shot material is only going to increase as the time to any potential ban draws nearer. To prevent further cases of Sod's Law I thought I'd get my book back by buying my stepson a couple so that he could use his own when required (he's at the other end of the country).

The best way to understand NTS is to first of all to understand lead. The problem is is that there's very little, if anything, recently written on the matter - I still use Father's Burrard as necessary. I don't expect this to be of much interest but if I can save a few folk a few quid then job done. Probably the best source of info is G.T. Garwood (Gough Thomas). Up until very recently you could get decent used copies of his work for pennies but something is happening as this is changing into £10 and more. For anyone interested, it might just be worth forking out a couple of quid now as opposed to £10s later.

Edited by wymberley

I can’t understand what is to be gained from studying lead as a pre-cursor to understanding ‘NTS and steel shot in particular’ given that lead is soon to be consigned to the history books.
All you’re gaining ( as far as I can see ) is a comparison with something soon to be obsolete….akin to claiming there is a need to understand all about black powder as a method to understanding nitro powders. 
What would be more fruitful I would have thought ( for those just entering the sport anyhow….not many veterans will be able to forget about lead and therefore will constantly make comparisons ) would be to just forget about lead and concentrate on steel. 
Anyone constantly bemoaning the fact ‘ that wouldn’t have happened if I’d been using lead’ is on a path to fruitless unhappiness. 🙂

Even if you’re loading your own, the only comparison one can make is when trying to duplicate a certain lead load in steel, and for that you don’t need to understand lead at all, but you do need to understand steel. 
Saying all that, commercial cartridge manufacturers are doing their best to create just that thing; it just isn’t in their best interests NOT to do so. Just as they did with lead in fact. 

19 hours ago, Scully said:

I can’t understand what is to be gained from studying lead as a pre-cursor to understanding ‘NTS and steel shot in particular’ given that lead is soon to be consigned to the history books.
All you’re gaining ( as far as I can see ) is a comparison with something soon to be obsolete….akin to claiming there is a need to understand all about black powder as a method to understanding nitro powders. 
What would be more fruitful I would have thought ( for those just entering the sport anyhow….not many veterans will be able to forget about lead and therefore will constantly make comparisons ) would be to just forget about lead and concentrate on steel. 
Anyone constantly bemoaning the fact ‘ that wouldn’t have happened if I’d been using lead’ is on a path to fruitless unhappiness. 🙂

Even if you’re loading your own, the only comparison one can make is when trying to duplicate a certain lead load in steel, and for that you don’t need to understand lead at all, but you do need to understand steel. 
Saying all that, commercial cartridge manufacturers are doing their best to create just that thing; it just isn’t in their best interests NOT to do so. Just as they did with lead in fact. 

Think I used the wrong word. The "understanding" was simply meant to relate to the comparison between the energy/velocity differences between the two materials. The tables in a half decent book provide a little more comprehensive info than does, say, the Eley diary such that noting the figures for lead one can then obtain a matching effective range figures for steel.