Do game shoots need Natural England consents ?

If a game shoot commercial or small family etc shoots over sssi  sites do they have to get consent from Natural England? ,I can’t see a problem with shooting Pheasants  but what about Ducks specifically Mallard ? I know consents are putting strict bag limits on several species especially the Mallard there would be no way of knowing if released or wild birds were being shot .

I think this is the thing you have to concern yourself with - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/gamebirds-licence-to-release-common-pheasants-or-red-legged-partridges-on-european-sites-and-within-500m-of-their-boundary-gl43/gl43-licence-to-release-common-pheasants-or-red-legged-partridges-on-european-sites-and-within-500m-of-their-boundary#:~:text=Common pheasants%3A release density,must not exceed this limit.

As I understand it, it's more the releasing of birds than the shooting of them that causes the concern. There may be other things that need to be taken into account, but as I don't shoot over any sssi's, I'm not madly informed about it.

Edit - I've just been on BASC's website and the answer to your question seems to be yes, you do need consent from the relevant statutory authority https://basc.org.uk/wildfowling/consents-on-sssi-and-other-designated-sites/

Edited by PeterHenry

12 minutes ago, PeterHenry said:

I think this is the thing you have to concern yourself with - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/gamebirds-licence-to-release-common-pheasants-or-red-legged-partridges-on-european-sites-and-within-500m-of-their-boundary-gl43/gl43-licence-to-release-common-pheasants-or-red-legged-partridges-on-european-sites-and-within-500m-of-their-boundary#:~:text=Common pheasants%3A release density,must not exceed this limit.

As I understand it, it's more the releasing of birds than the shooting of them that causes the concern. There may be other things that need to be taken into account, but as I don't shoot over any sssi's, I'm not madly informed about it.

No my main concern is that Natural England could possibly restrict the number  of mallard that you shoot regardless as to whether they were released or wild or refuse consent to shoot at all.

Do shoots using sssi sites even bother to apply for consents to shoot from Natural England maybe a Basc employee might know the answer to this one .

5 minutes ago, holloway said:

No my main concern is that Natural England could possibly restrict the number  of mallard that you shoot regardless as to whether they were released or wild or refuse consent to shoot at all.

Do shoots using sssi sites even bother to apply for consents to shoot from Natural England maybe a Basc employee might know the answer to this one .

I think my post edit and your post may have crossed in the mail.

I get the strong impression that legaly if you shoot over an sssi there should be a consent in place - I would imagine that the terms of that consent could include bag numbers, as some wildfowling clubs have found out.

Edited by PeterHenry

57 minutes ago, PeterHenry said:

I think my post edit and your post may have crossed in the mail.

I get the strong impression that legaly  if you shoot over an sssi there should be a consent in place - I would imagine that the terms of that consent could include bag numbers, as some wildfowling clubs have found out.

Yes thanks Peter ,the word legally is the pertinent one do they all have the consent they need if not has there ever been repercussions?

20 minutes ago, holloway said:

Yes thanks Peter ,the word legally is the pertinent one do they all have the consent they need if not has there ever been repercussions?

I wouldn't know about specific repercussions re SSSI's etc - however

In a general sense, I can recall an incident (not on a sssi) involving myself and a local anti who was (quite literally) hiding behind some bushes. I had shot a game bird, lost it and searched for an hour and a half at least, then gone home in frustration as it was going dark - planning to return (and actually returning) the next day. Said anti went in after I left with a dog, found it and took a picture, that was then sent to a local newspaper to cause trouble....

That was the result of me being unlucky and acting entirely legally.

The right (wrong?) pepole would make hay with you given the chance.

Edited by PeterHenry

I used to run a shoot over two SSSIs. Releasing and/or shooting game and wildfowl was classed as an activity requiring NE consent on one of the SSSIs, where the designation was due to botanical interest. The other SSSI was designated for its geological interest, so game management was not an activity requiring consent.

I did get an assent granted by NE for shooting over the botanical SSSI, but wasn’t allowed a release pen there to minimise the effect of birds scratching up the rare plants and lichens.

My advice would be to check the list of controlled activities on the magic.gov .uk website then, if necessary talk to your local NE advisor.