And after all of that, no steel...

There have been a lot of threads on here about steel cartridges of one kind and another lately. They've been interesting to read. I patterned a whole load last year and have been planning to stock up on steel cartridges for my 12's and 20 for a while now and make the shift as requested by our "superiors", for better or worse.

I finally managed to get to my local RFD yesterday to try and buy a few slabs. The story they tell is not only of big  price increases, but that no-one is now loading steel and probably won't be until this year's season comes round. Apparently the manufacturers are running flat out - when they can - but are all short on components and particularly steel shot. It wasn't even that steel was available but significantly more expensive - the shop simply didn't have any to sell, except the odds and ends on the shelf.

Apparently their stock is running unusually low and they're not expecting any deliveries any time soon. I asked whether they had anything for .410 (I still want lead cartridges for that) and the answer was the same - the manufacturers have no components to make them and there was no ETA on when any would arrive. They guessed a month or two, when pressed. I realize it's now time for clays and pigeons, but I've never known a time hitherto where the staff there said they wouldn't even let me put some on order because they weren't confident of when they'd arrive.

In the end, I couldn't get any of the things I went in for. I bought a slab of the new Hull Superfast 32g/#5½ to tide me over for a bit and I'm thinking I might go back tomorrow and buy something to feed the 20 gauge until things settle down (just in case they double in price next week), but I feel a bit deflated if I'm honest. I've put quite a lot of time into finding which steel cartridge my guns liked best and was starting to get properly confident with them but it all feels like a waste of time now.

Rather, I feel like I've gone back in time to where I started out 12 years or so ago: I started off shooting 32g/#5 at everything until I discovered I liked 28g/#6 out of my old 16 bore better for pigeons. Of course, I sold that gun last year on the basis that we're still probably looking at a lead ban at some point - but perhaps I should have kept it a bit longer.

There was a chap who wrote to the BASC magazine last time who asked whether the higher prices for / shortages of steel cartridges might have been caused by BASC et al pushing to "transition" (it's all the rage, these days, apparently!) rather faster than the market could keep up. I suspect he may have been right. Of course, the ******* edited the letter to make it look like he was a total enthusiast for steel and cut out all the bits pointing out the costs (financial and otherwise) of trying to do what they were asking - but of course, that wasn't the party line, so they couldn't print it... ****.

Ho hum.

I bought a few boxes last year of steel to try them out against my normal lead carts .I haven't fired a single steel cartridge yet .can't be bothered .every time I look there is no steel available  so what's the point in testing a brand or shot size .

Also steel is much more expensive  .I dont WANT to shoot it  over lead  

I am told all steel shot is made in china so guess that will not be helping the situation, then speaking recently to one reloading components supplier he painted a picture also of desperation, struggling to get components, prices shooting up, maxam powder no more and even as you say cartridges difficult to get, so the pain was palatable.

However as he put it, it is a sport to us and not a matter of life and death as it is in the Ukraine.

Then also received the just cartridges email, suggesting all cartridge prices are going up any day soon, looks like it going to be very tought for shooting shops and clay grounds.

Very much agree on the Ukraine point. Likewise, after this morning's 20 gauge patterning, on the steel point. I tried a Hull #5 steel load and the Eley #4 cartridge recently discussed elsewhere through the wacky chokes that came with my new Hatsan and the results were not impressive.

The #5 load just about threw a usable pattern at 40yd with a 3/4 choke but nothing looser would do. The #4 weren't suitable for pigeon at all (IMHO). I also patterned a Gamebore 25g/#6 to give a reference point and that rather put the steel cartridges' performance into perspective, put it that way.

Depressingly though, the lead load didn't cycle the gun reliably (it may need loosening up, may be the 65mm case) but at this stage I haven't got anything both reliable and performant. Back to the shop to look for more options I think.

Except of course, they probably don't have anything available.

Edited by neutron619