Greener 'Police Gun' For Sale

Sprucey

I saw one once where the guns had a special base that only allowed a special cartridge to be chambered.  The guns were only issued to the prision wanders with a couple of these special cartridges so that if the gun was captured by rioting prisioners the prisioners would only have access to on or two cartridges because ordinary 12  gauge cartridges wouldn't fire.  I can't remember what the base of the cartridges was like but I think that there was a ring or pin that had to be aligned so that the breech would close.

6 minutes ago, Minky said:

I saw one once where the guns had a special base that only allowed a special cartridge to be chambered.  The guns were only issued to the prision wanders with a couple of these special cartridges so that if the gun was captured by rioting prisioners the prisioners would only have access to on or two cartridges because ordinary 12  gauge cartridges wouldn't fire.  I can't remember what the base of the cartridges was like but I think that there was a ring or pin that had to be aligned so that the breech would close.

I think this is true of the Egyptian police GP too - lots were converted back to 12 bore and the proof marks should tell the story.

This looks like a nice example; I’ve got two other guns on my list before the GP..!

It's a long time ago that I was in a dealer's and was shown the gun so it was just a quick view of it, so I'm not certain of the details. Vague memory of it is that the police riot cartridges were a sort of 2 size stepped body brass cartridge with a partial crimped tapered closure.  There was a sort of circular trench around the primer pocket area so the primer area looked like a sand castle. In the face there was a standing post that fitted into the trench.  This post stopped the action closing with ordinary flat base shotgun cartridges along with the reduction of the chamber size.  I think that the shot size was #4 but I  might be imagining all of this.

• 4 weeks later...