Pigeons scared of deer?

kitchrat

Found a couple of fields of newly drilled beans, pigeon all over it. So, next morning early, me and a pal are there and so are the pigeons. Loads on one field but next to the other field they were all sitting in winter wheat, sort of waiting. We saw them get up, circle the field and come back to the wheat, This happened several times in 5 minutes. We went round the corner and there was a herd of maybe 40 fallow in the centre of the field. The pigeons came circled and left again.

After the deer had gone, the pigeons were back, big time but didn't like to decoy well and after a while gave up and went elsewhere. Not before we had about 40 in 2 hours though.

Maybe it’s the very light colour of the fallow that had the birds scared? I’ve recently had a small herd of roe trundling across an o/s/r field which didn’t seem to bother the, very few, pigeons that were on it. Incidentally the herd numbered 15 which is a heck of a lot more than I normally see when pigeon shooting. Did you notice if the fallow were grazing the rape as, a couple of years ago, I found a full stomach of rape leaves in one roe deer.

3 hours ago, Manymissedpigeon said:

Maybe it’s the very light colour of the fallow that had the birds scared? I’ve recently had a small herd of roe trundling across an o/s/r field which didn’t seem to bother the, very few, pigeons that were on it. Incidentally the herd numbered 15 which is a heck of a lot more than I normally see when pigeon shooting. Did you notice if the fallow were grazing the rape as, a couple of years ago, I found a full stomach of rape leaves in one roe deer.

No, they are fairly dark in colour and were just resting up on the newly drilled field.They are often there. By the way, have just been told that the farmer down the road has a video of fallow crossing his field, numbering "over a hundred"!!  Never seen more than 3 roe at any one time.