Car Insurance (again!)

steve_b_wales

My wife received a renewal quote in the post, which was almost £185 more than last year. I went on Go Compare (as they give a refund of up to £250 if you have to pay an excess charge) and I managed to get a good deal for her. Application form filled in on line and I also kept a copy. When she received the documents yesterday (her insurance expires 17th January) she noticed that her annual mileage was written down as 1000 miles. Checking the copy, it showed 8000. She contacted the company yesterday and the guy on the other end said that they only input what details are provided. She informed him that she had proof of what we stated, but he said, 'Okay, but there's an admin' charge of £47 to adjust it. She declined that and pointed out that she had a right to cancel the policy and receive a full refund, if it's cancellend within 14 days of receiving it. He would'nt budge so she told him that she wanted to cancel it. He then said that there was £20 fee for this! Anyway, the policy was cancelled, she will receive a refund minus £20. I looked on Go Compare again and took out another policy which was only £11 more than the first one. Today, she spoke to a staff member at Go Compare (Newport South Wales) and was told that the £20 should not have been taken, and that they will investigate this with the hope that the £20 will aldo be refunded.

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

My wife received a renewal quote in the post, which was almost £185 more than last year. I went on Go Compare (as they give a refund of up to £250 if you have to pay an excess charge) and I managed to get a good deal for her. Application form filled in on line and I also kept a copy. When she received the documents yesterday (her insurance expires 17th January) she noticed that her annual mileage was written down as 1000 miles. Checking the copy, it showed 8000. She contacted the company yesterday and the guy on the other end said that they only input what details are provided. She informed him that she had proof of what we stated, but he said, 'Okay, but there's an admin' charge of £47 to adjust it. She declined that and pointed out that she had a right to cancel the policy and receive a full refund, if it's cancellend within 14 days of receiving it. He would'nt budge so she told him that she wanted to cancel it. He then said that there was £20 fee for this! Anyway, the policy was cancelled, she will receive a refund minus £20. I looked on Go Compare again and took out another policy which was only £11 more than the first one. Today, she spoke to a staff member at Go Compare (Newport South Wales) and was told that the £20 should not have been taken, and that they will investigate this with the hope that the £20 will aldo be refunded.

Compare sites need to have people reading all of the prompts. They like to sneak in tricks like seriously undervaluing a car under cover of a "this is what we think your car is worth window" too... be careful.