Female Teal

Afternoon all

After shooting last week, I brought home the teal to breast out and noticed all the females were far more fatty than the males. Is this in preperation for breeding season or are the girls just more greedy?

I can't say I've ever noticed before but thought someone on here may already know the answer.

Cheers

1 hour ago, mgsontour said:

Afternoon all

After shooting last week, I brought home the teal to breast out and noticed all the females were far more fatty than the males. Is this in preperation for breeding season or are the girls just more greedy?

I can't say I've ever noticed before but thought someone on here may already know the answer.

Cheers

Ducks tend to put on more fat than Drakes, this is to prepare for the breeding season and for their migration back to their breeding grounds in North East Europe, ( Teal,Pintail,Wigeon and migrant Mallard )

This tends to happen as the day length increases, and they sense the need to prepare by eating larger quantities of high energy foods (plants and seeds, invertebrates, and agricultural grains).

Most hen pheasant carry a lot more fat than cock birds as the season closes as well.

1 hour ago, twenty said:

Ducks tend to put on more fat than Drakes, this is to prepare for the breeding season and for their migration back to their breeding grounds in North East Europe, ( Teal,Pintail,Wigeon and migrant Mallard )

This tends to happen as the day length increases, and they sense the need to prepare by eating larger quantities of high energy foods (plants and seeds, invertebrates, and agricultural grains).

Most hen pheasant carry a lot more fat than cock birds as the season closes as well.

Cheers, appreciated